Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
works great on 06 Sprint

Reset settings on ECU on Sagem Sprint:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,
this question comes up every now and then.

I had a talk to the very experienced Senior Triumph Tech that always works on my bike and this is how I was told it is done:

Start bike, preferably from cold.

DO NOT touch the throttle.

Allow the bike to idle until the cooling fan cuts in.

Once the fan is cut in wait a moment then switch off.

This allows the ECU to reset all the settings in it's tiny little head.

The reason not to touch the throttle is that the moment you touch it everything in the ECU changes.

The reason for leaving idling until the cooling fan cuts in is because the fan switching on is the last thing the sagem unit has to "sense" before doing it's own reset.

So if you try this and blip the throttle nothing will change.

So the wise man told me and I have no reason to doubt his word.

Apparently every now and then for some reasons the ECU gets a glitch in it and this resets it back to what it should be.

I did not ask about the 1050 engine, '05 onwards machines as you have the newer Kehin ECU and it will most likely be a different procedure for you.

Cheers,
DaveM:

Worked on my 06 Sprint but you have turn it off for the light to clear

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
:cool:Three cycles worked a treat on my 955i st, but the MIL was on alone;i.e. the temperature and fuel gauges worked all the time.

Best of luck

stuartw

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put an aftermarket muffler on my 04 955 Sprint RS. The check engine light is on, and the low fuel light comes on and off in-appropriately. I will try the above re-set procedure. Do I need to re-tune my ECU for the new muffler, or does it adjust itself based on the O2 sensor readings?

·
Premium Member
24,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I put an aftermarket muffler on my 04 955 Sprint RS. The check engine light is on, and the low fuel light comes on and off in-appropriately. I will try the above re-set procedure. Do I need to re-tune my ECU for the new muffler, or does it adjust itself based on the O2 sensor readings?
Magic

the aftermarket muffler is possibly more free flowing and therefore will run lean, so the answer is yes you should use Tune ECU (freeware do a search on this by the moderator DECosse) or the Triumph Gameboy if you have it (very expensive) and upload the correct "off Road" tune to your bike's ECU.

Cheers
DaveM:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I triggered the CEL on my 2007 Daytona 675, by using the random stray brown plug that was identical to the brown fuel pump plug under the seat, instead of the correct brown plug. After I plugged in the correct plug, the CEL came on even though the bike ran fine. I started the bike and let it run until the fan came on, and then shut it off with the key. I let it cool for a while, did it again, and then the third time when the fan started the CEL went off. Started the bike again and it stayed off. Thanks for this tip, the local Triumph dealer is about 30 minutes away, and never open when I can get there.

·
Premium Member
24,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I triggered the CEL on my 2007 Daytona 675, by using the random stray brown plug that was identical to the brown fuel pump plug under the seat, instead of the correct brown plug. After I plugged in the correct plug, the CEL came on even though the bike ran fine. I started the bike and let it run until the fan came on, and then shut it off with the key. I let it cool for a while, did it again, and then the third time when the fan started the CEL went off. Started the bike again and it stayed off. Thanks for this tip, the local Triumph dealer is about 30 minutes away, and never open when I can get there.
No problem mate it is indeed a handy thing to know about on these machines :)

Cheers
Dave :AustralianFlag

·
Registered
78 Posts
cleared codes on my 03 ST with an automotive scan tool using the generic obd2 plug, did not read the codes so well but cleared them no worries, did it a few times when I had problems with low voltage due to a bad battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Worked like a champ

Dead Battery (left the key on after thumbing the switch):mad:
jumped it and fired right up, CEL was on though.:confused:
Ran fine on the way home, checked this forum, found this thread, three starts later no CEL TY Dave!:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
it's worked for me. turn it on, wait 20 seconds, turn it off. do it 3 times, and no CEL. problem is, my CEL comes on within a minute of resetting it. fuel sending unit. Does anyone know if this is usually the float, or the unit itself?how do i know which to fix/replace/curse at?

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
The first post is full of nonsense

What exactly do you want to 'reset' anyway?

Same ECU on 00-04 Sprints - only difference is in the map it runs but ECU hardware is the same.

If by 'reset' you mean clear the MIL, then it needs to be run through 3 heat-up & cool-down cycles - it is not necessary to wait for the fan to come on.
A warm-up cycles is defined as
Temp must be > 72C
Temp must have increased by more than 23C from its starting (cool) temp
A normal power down takes place at conclusion (i.e. just turn off key)

If - and ONLY if - the problem that tripped the MIL to begin with is resolved, the light will go off.
If it remains on, the problem is still present (or it wasn't heated or cooled sufficiently between each cycle)

There is NO 'reset' of 'settings'.
The only setting that can be reset is the long term fuel trim and you would need to clear that in TuneECU.

·
Premium Member
24,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The first post is full of nonsense

What exactly do you want to 'reset' anyway?

Same ECU on 00-04 Sprints - only difference is in the map it runs but ECU hardware is the same.

If by 'reset' you mean clear the MIL, then it needs to be run through 3 heat-up & cool-down cycles - it is not necessary to wait for the fan to come on.
A warm-up cycles is defined as
Temp must be > 72C
Temp must have increased by more than 23C from its starting (cool) temp
A normal power down takes place at conclusion (i.e. just turn off key)

If - and ONLY if - the problem that tripped the MIL to begin with is resolved, the light will go off.
If it remains on, the problem is still present (or it wasn't heated or cooled sufficiently between each cycle)

There is NO 'reset' of 'settings'.
The only setting that can be reset is the long term fuel trim and you would need to clear that in TuneECU.
Thank you Ken for your "polite user friendly way" of correcting my erroneous first post. :surprise:
No doubt you are correct but your information delivery in the first line sucks my friend. Most would have said that rather differently.

Cheers
DaveM

41 - 54 of 54 Posts