Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
thank you

1999 sprint 955I
I had done a service including valve adjustment and when I put it back together the light was on. I thought I was screwed until I found your site. This method worked the second time. The first time I let it run until the fan came on and shut it down. The light stayed on. The second time I let it run for 12 min after the light came on and shut it off. Let it cool down and then started it, NO MORE LIGHT! Not sure if its the extra time or the extra hot/cold cycle, but THANK YOU DAVE!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its a 955

^^^^ it will help if you can tell us if its a 1050 or 955 ,, and welcome to the forum
Thanks and soz, its a 955. I'll do another cycle and try again. Just as a footnote the light didn't come on straight away after the battery change, sometime later. Anyway, lets see what the next try does.

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
No joy, 4th try. Fuel Gauge sticks at zero so I am guessing its something wrong with that. I will get it looked at and post the result.

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Norbyt,

Did you ever find out what was wrong? I had the same warning light combination happen yesterday on my 03 ST. The check engine light came on, and within a couple of minutes, the fuel light came on and and the gas gauge registered below empty. Have not had the chance to do anything except verify that the lights were the same today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ola,

In the end I got it diagnosed and it is the fuel sending unit in the tank - all codes from the computer were related to that alone. I've not changed it yet but will do, otherwise there is nothing to worry about apparently on my bike.

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rob, Thanks for the update. I think I must have same exact condition. Bike seems to run fine, just have the lights glaring in my eyes! And a fuel gauge that show empty all the time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My Guage showed empty all the time. Then some weeks later the rev counter and temperature guage stopped as well. I cleared the codes in the ecu and all sprang back into life.

·
Premium Member
24,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have found that if you start the bike and get to operating temp, then let the temp get to the poiint that turns the fan on (so you do this if you are on a ride) then let it cool to operating temp, do this 3 times it resets the engine management light. Is this similar to the original reset?
Adesxjr

you obviously have not read my original post have you?:(

DaveM

·
Registered
48 Posts
theres a clue at the beginning of the thread also known as the original post :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's been 3 years since DaveM posted this great bit of tech info. But I wanted to give a shout out and a big thank you for it. Excuse the length

Due to a local H-D/ "Triumph" dealers service department, I've had a huge headache over the last 9 months dealing with the issues of their incompetence and dishonesty. The lastest was discovering they'd stripped out the radiator vent hole.

I removed both fairing lowers and the radiator, and got the radiator repaired. Reinstalled everything, tested the rad for leaks by running the Sprint for several minutes. All looked good, shut it off. Washed it the next day, it'd gotten dusty from waiting for the rad repair.

After washing/drying I started it and the engine check light (or EMSMIL) didn't go out.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! NOW WHAT?!

It looked like ANOTHER 250 mile round trip to the Triumph dealership I trust to work on my bike. Then I remembered DaveM's thread on resetting the Sagem ECU. I gave it a try this morning, and it worked. YES!!!!

I figured out what happened. When I started the bike to test the rad, I forgot to plug in the fan. It ran for a few minutes till I remembered it and plugged it in. Then restarted the bike to continue the test. Since the last thing the ECU reads is the fan, it couldn't find it. But by doing the ECU reset, it was able to find the fan and reset the light.

This info goes into my owners manual, which gives this bit of wisdom "Contact an authorized Triumph dealer as soon as possible to have the fault checked and rectified."

Thanks again DaveM !

·
Registered
20 Posts
thanks dave. picked up a 2001 sprint this spring. dealer struggled with the light after pulling the battery (used dealer, not factory). after reading this post i was not worried. a couple of days ago i started my bike after a half hour ride and the light came on again. the next day i reset the computer as you stated and all is well:)

·
Registered
317 Posts
So Dave, has there been any mention of a reset for the newer bikes (2011 GT?).... Just in case I get into trouble....???? Do you feel that this would work on such bikes now?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts