Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently started to run out of fuel and had to switch to the reserve. Then I filled the tank and got on my way but forgot to switch back to the main tank, after about 60km it started to run out of fuel again, then I switched back to the main tank, everything was ok.
How is it that you can run out of fuel when on reserve with a full tank.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Crud

there have been several posts about contamination in tanks, ranging from paint chips to a kind of brown crud clogging your intake screens.
triumphs have a tap system of two screens, one very long and one very short, the short one is for the reserve position, the longer one is the running intake.
the way it works is that when you are turned to "run" gas is taken out of the tank until it gets to the top of the long intake, when it does, the engine starves out of gas, you switch to the bottom, or "reserve" setting on the tap and you have a few more miles before you run out completely.
Ergo, since crud seeks the lowest level in the tank, your "reserve" screen being the lowest point in the tank, sucks the debris into the screen and blocks it.
It's an easy matter to drain the tank, pull it off the bike, turn it upside down, remove the tap and clean the screens. You should also flush the tank while you have it off and the tap off. Easily done by keeping the tank upright while you pour a pint or so of gas through the tank which will hopefully flush any remaining debris out of the tank.
Best bet is to get a haynes or triiumph manual which will guide you to the correct way to remove/install the tank safely.
Good luck.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As always, thanks for the information, I will take the tank off this weekend and give it a real good flush out and clean the screens.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
panther they are great photos, I am pulling my tap out today.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will I am pleased I took the tap out and flushed the tank. The base of the tap around the reserve gauze was realy clogged up. Gave the tap a good wash out and blow out with the air hose, then flushed the tank out about 5 to 6 times. a lot of junk came out of the tank each flush.
All back together now and running well.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Will I am pleased I took the tap out and flushed the tank. The base of the tap around the reserve gauze was realy clogged up. Gave the tap a good wash out and blow out with the air hose, then flushed the tank out about 5 to 6 times. a lot of junk came out of the tank each flush.
All back together now and running well.
Good news. You might consider finding a different place to buy gas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts