Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

With the help of several folks on this board I'm now the proud new owner of an '09 S3 in Blazing Orange. Attached is a picture of it along with its big brother, an '04 Yamaha FJR.

What a contrast in bikes. Yesterday the wind was HOWLING in Dallas and riding the S3 was an eye opener for wind blast. I got knocked around a lot more than I would have on the FJR but that was not only expected, but enjoyed as well. I love the light weight and short wheel base.

One surprise to me is how little the handlebars turn. My FJR turns far more sharply from lock to lock. Not necessarily a bad thing but I'll need to get used to it.

Well, I'm off. Gotta work through this damn break-in period.

Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

I ground the weld and pulled the baffles out of the Arrows. I think they have just the right amount of sound for my liking at this point.

Couple of questions/concerns. I am a fairly experienced rider (30+ years) and yet I hit neutral several times between 4-5 and 5-6. Caught me by surprise. Do you think this will loosen up? I just broke my 1st 100 miles today.

Also, twice when I turned off the bike and then immediately tried to turn it back on there wasn't enough juice to start it up. It would just whaa-whaa a few times and then nothing. Had to bump start it once. Would this be a bad battery? Bad ground? or ???

·
Registered
657 Posts
That is nothing new that battery is weak on delivery - dealership should fully charge it, rarely does. First S3 that I demoed died in the middle of ride - battery problem. The one that I took home was OK, but battery got much better after few days on tender.
As for false neutral - that's surprising. After hitting it regularly on Ducati I was really pleased that this never happened to me on Speedy - gearbox has very positive feel. I think after FJR you have shifting technique that is too "subtle"... that is no "snick-snick" from gear to another, move your foot!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks All. I'll start putting a little more leg into my shifts. :eek:

BTW, is there a helmet hook or lock that I'm missing somewhere?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would change the oil and filter now even with 100 miles.
I know my dealer told me I can wait till 600 miles, but a new engine is going to have metal in the oil. I changed it once at 100 and again at the 600 mile check to stop those shavings from circulating.

I now have 13k miles in almost 6 months and the engine is perfect. Not even a drop of oil burned between changes which are spaced at 2k miles since I switched to 10w-40.

I guess we should stop talking about oil huh? This thread will be hijacked into one of those never ending oil threads.

Congrats on your 2009! That color is my favorite. I have a black one since my dealer was out of orange.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts