Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1969 T-120 that I haven't ridden in a few years. Mechanically its pretty sound, but needs a little work since its been sitting for a while. I don't have the time or the patience to do it myself and wanted to know of any decent and reasonably priced British bike mechanics in the Chicago area (closer to the city, the better).

Thanks for any direction you guys can provide.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Ain't NO COMMERCIAL shop in the city I would recommend.

Ifin I were to be takin my Triumph to a shop to be worked on it would go to Plainfield. Go see Harold at WERTHS AUTOMOTIVE he was a REAL Triumph dealer for 40years.

Also some people like Ed at Morries Place I am sure someone will post his info.

If you want individuals in the city one is near Loretto hospital and one is (last I heard) near Goose Island let us know.

Anybody I recommend (is in my opinion) TOP DRAWER and I would trust with any of my scoots

As far as the price
high quality repairs are ALWAYS cheap regardless of the cost
low quality repairs are ALWAYS expensive regardless of the cost

[ This message was edited by: KADUTZ on 2006-12-19 22:39 ]

·
Registered
212 Posts
Like Kadutz said, someone will post Ed at Morries info. You can call him at (815)678-3118. He is my first choice and worth the one hour trip to McHenry county. John Schroeder is on the westside and he is also one I would recommend, you can reach him at (773) 287-7031. If you are on the Southside and Hobart Indiana is more convenient, you might consider Bob Goodpaster at Expert cycle (219)942-2401.
I would NOT recommend BPC on Belmont Avenue. They're ok for a part IF you know what you need and inspect it before you buy it, like in a pinch where you might miss a ride, but there is a revolving door with the mechanics that have worked there, and none of them have the kind of credentials as the three I've mentioned. PM me for info on the British bike scene in town. There a a couple of clubs and shows and gatherings you may find of interest.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Goodpaster.......I spent five years sorting one of his famous restorations, beware. Stay away from Belmont. Morries is probably your best bet.

[ This message was edited by: triumphtimes on 2006-12-30 20:34 ]

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I forgot the new kid in town an experienced Brit mechanic
is at True Imports(aka Ural of Chicago) in Clarendon Hills. I don't know the quality of his work BUT I feel based on experience the shop is honest. An honest shop will not hire a crook nor keep an incompetent mechanic.
I note no comment's were made about my first choice for service Werths to the best of my knowledge is 1 of 2 surviving pre Hinckley Triumph shops in the Northern Illinois area. I draw the line AT the border and if I include Hobart Ind I must also include Kenosha Wisc which is TO FAR outside of the original requested parameters (inside the city of Chicago)
before I go any further anyone I suggest,is in my opinion ,honest and component. That is based on my nearly 30 years in the industry. On a personal level I may not care for one or more of the individuals listed BUT I would NOT Hesitate leaving my 70 T120RT at any of the shops I mentioned
re triumphtimes comments
I have known Bob for over 25years. You have your opinion I have mine. I have known people who worked for him also. He is respected in the Brit Bike community in the area.
Also you have TRIUMPH GOD that lives locally you love the man, he is the best thing since sliced bread, he works for less than an alien . YET you fail to give any info on him

HOWS*****?

12/27/06
I would like to point out the above ******'d out statement was intended to be read as How's C*m (use the vowel of your choice and no sexual connotation is intended) as in how come if you know the MOST WONDERFUL TRIUMPH GOD IN THE WORLD why dont you tell people who he is.
Any one who read the statement as how sc*m(use the vowel of your choice) has other problems.

12/28/06
I see my comment got edited again so I have readjusted the comment. as I said any one who reads the statement out of context has other problems.

[ This message was edited by: KADUTZ on 2006-12-28 23:20 ]

·
Registered
899 Posts
Kadutz,

I am not about to get into this on here. Like you said you have your opinion, I have mine. Mine, like yours, is based on the experience I had with the guy and I don't care if you've know him 1 year or 100 years.

·
Super Moderator
13,548 Posts
I've seen this type of conflicting opinions regarding shops before. I think sometimes it is down to certain individuals' one-time experiences that produced a "never-again" attitude (it has happened to me, too).

If you get two or more positive (or negative) opinions of the same shop, there may not necessarily be a "pattern", just insufficient data. over time, you might get equal numbers on both sides.

My opinion is that the CUSTOMER has an important role to play in making sure thier bike get serviced properly. AFTER asking around, take your bike in and watch it like a hawk.

Make sure to do a walk-around with the shop foreman before you release the bike into thier care, mention what you heard through word-of-mouth, even take pictures with him standing there. That way, if paint gets scratched, or seat torn, cases gouged, you'll have evidence.

If they said they'd have it out in three days, be sure to call very early on the 3rd day and ask what time you can arrive for pick-up. After that point, you need to stay on top of them right through completion.

I talk about some of this stuff in my book "Old bikes"; you really ought to form a relationship with your local shop BEFORE you need them.

...doughnuts and/or taquitos go a long way in this area.

·
Registered
212 Posts
triumphtimes,
You still haven't told us anything about your small town Triumph mechanic. If he's as good as you say, I might check him out. How can I contact him?

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
what a p*ssy(vowel of your choice)
Suggest you remove the rest of your comments regarding Goodpaster put up or shut up!

[ This message was edited by: KADUTZ on 2006-12-30 21:19 ]

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
In this forum, there is a greater tendency for members to be passionate about the folks they work with. It's not like everyone here is buying a new Triumph and expressing challenges about getting warranty work done.

I think we can all agree that opinions won't be the same, but some of you will have to understand that there are minor differences between sharing thoughts verbally versus an online forum.

There isn't a guideline for potentially disruptive topics, as long as they don't result in something that violates the AUP then everyone is welcome to share their thoughts and sort out opinions.

Locking this down ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts