Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
My steering lock has no key, so i've bought a new kit from triumph.
Trouble is, i cant get the old one out.
Could someone pm me, or just say how i remove the old one???

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You'll need to pick the pins or drill it out. If you decide to drill it out you'll need to remove the forks to clean the drill swarf out of the neck and bearings.

Dick

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Steering lock

When I got my Bonne , the dealer said "Dont use the lock"! Its a problem waiting to happen. I did 1x & he was rite! Get a disc lock or something else. Cost less & less hasssle!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
When I got my Bonne , the dealer said "Dont use the lock"! Its a problem waiting to happen. I did 1x & he was rite! Get a disc lock or something else. Cost less & less hasssle!!
In this case, it is probably easier to get a disc lock and call it a day, seeing as the other options are to pick the lock (or more likely hire someone to pick the lock) or to remove the fork.

In general though, there's nothing wrong with the steering lock IF you use it a few times so that the cover loosens up and IF you lubricate it. It's metal. It's out in the weather. It needs lube.

The tech I spoke to most recently about the issue- yes, I've spoken with a few Triumph techs about this- was the lead (and only) service writer at Triumph NYC for a few years. He saw everything that came through the shop on warranty issues, which steering lock failure falls under. As I'm sure you can imagine if you read this forum, he saw a lot of those. He said he had never seen a steering lock failure in a non-theft situation that wasn't entirely attributable to user error. Almost all could be fixed with the application of light oil to the mechanism, turning the bars to release pressure from the pin, and proper use of the key. The few that couldn't had to be drilled out, because the customer had wrenched on the bars with the lock engaged sufficiently hard to get the pin stuck.

Sure, that's one guy's experience at one shop, and it doesn't represent every problem anyone's ever had with a steering lock on any of these bikes, but it does suggest that maybe... just maybe... they aren't as unreliable as a lot of people seem to believe, or at least they don't have to be if used properly.

I have both a functional steering lock and a disc lock. I either use the steering lock or I use both.

Apologies for the threadjack. I just think the steering lock gets a bad rap from people who never bothered to learn to use it. Don't want to use yours? Fine. No need to spread the steering lock hate, though, even if it was given to you by a dealer who didn't bother to learn to use the product he was selling, or at very least didn't bother to show you the correct way to use one of the harder to use features of the bike he just sold you.

Toooldforlonghair, if you've got the parts and don't mind the hassle, there's no reason to not. A disc lock is probably both cheaper and easier in your situation, though.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ride over to a locksmith's shop and have them pick the lock for you. Older BMWs use the exact same steering lock as the Triumphs and I had to have the same thing done for an R75/5.

It's not very expensive and you get the job done right for a minimum of hassle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts