Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so with the majority of people recommending either the Avons or the Pirelli sport demons I went into the dealer today to order the tires. It seems that neither the Azaros nor the Storms come in the right size for the rear tire. Are you guys running dual front tires? Thats the only way I can see them working, I know that some vintage racers do that, but is it ok for the street?

·
Registered
62 Posts
You'd need to go either 140 or 150 on the rear.
150/70-17 is the nearest fitted circumference to the 130 stock.
The 140 ends up being considerably larger

There's quite a few threads re tyres........

This may help you:
Stock Front: 100/90 18 18 x 2.5"

Avon Storm ST AV55
110/80ZR18 58W **Circumference compared to stock -0.6%

Michelin Pilot Road2
110/80ZR18 **Circumference compared to stock -0.6%

------------------------------------------------

Stock Rear: 130/80 R 17 17 x 3.5"

Avon Azaro Sport Touring AV46-ST
140/80ZR17 (69W) **Circumference compared to stock +2.5%

Michelin Pilot Road2
150/70ZR17 **Circumference compared to stock +0.3%

Likely all 150/70-17 tyres will be pretty similar, not sure what is in the Avon range in that size.

Also note that Michelin seems to be the only manufacturer showing their 150 series fitting to a 3.5" rim.

Go here http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html and use the lower part of the page to compare all the real dimensions.

I can't recommend the Road 2 Dual Compound tyres highly enough, I've done 4700km on them now. Absolutely no centre wear, but the soft side compound is getting a hiding and doing its job. I've taken the peg scrapers off and, this last Sunday managed to scrape the shifter [unintentionally] :D

PM me with your email address if you like and I'll send you a list I've compiled of options

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Go with the AM26 Roadriders . I'm on my second set . Great tire . Went with a 150/70-17 for the rear to lay more rubber . Actually helped the handling .

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? I thought the consensus was that the roadriders were too hard, and the storms or the Azaros were the ones to get all gushy over. I spoke with the avon rep and he said there was no real difference between the front and rear other than size, in which case, the storm comes in the right size. I went ahead and ordered them based on that little bit of info. but if you guys have some bit of knowledge that will set me straight, I will cancel it.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The demons are a good sticky sports tyre but don't expect much mileage out of them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So... Does anyone know for certain that a Avon Storm front tire will work on the back as the rep suggests?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Really? I thought the consensus was that the roadriders were too hard, and the storms or the Azaros were the ones to get all gushy over. I spoke with the avon rep and he said there was no real difference between the front and rear other than size, in which case, the storm comes in the right size. I went ahead and ordered them based on that little bit of info. but if you guys have some bit of knowledge that will set me straight, I will cancel it.
I really like the Sport Demons myself, had the Avons at one time but the Demons are better handling in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Go with the AM26 Roadriders . I'm on my second set . Great tire . Went with a 150/70-17 for the rear to lay more rubber . Actually helped the handling .
Have you compared to the options he is looking at though, Roxy? Handling wise, I think they are night and day...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts