Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences with Devon Rim Company or Central Wheel Components or any other company making replacement wheels. Also stainless steel vs steel rims? I am currently restoring my 1967 Bonneville.
Tri-Pilot

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
of the two companies - Central Wheel Co has been trading for a lot longer - i have used them for wheel rebuilds occasionaly over the last 30 or so years and always had quallity work done using top quality materials -- Devon Rim i have no experience of but have never heard negative comments -- from memory i think Devon were the first (in the UK) to develop s/steel rims -- also from memory i think Devon make their rims whereas Central buy theirs in ---- i could easily be wrong on both counts so if anyone knows better please correct me

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have CWC stainless rims and spokes on three of my four machine. They were built onto hubs that CWC also powder coated. They'll supply and fit tyres at competitive prices, too. They've also powder coated two of the frames. I've found them to be easy to work with and the quality of the works has been high.
I have no knowledge of the Devon Rim Company as I've never had any dealings with them.
John

·
Premium Member
10,317 Posts
Another for cwc.
I have had two bikes/four wheels done in stainless rims and spokes.

Don't use stainless if you are a rivet counter but to me it is a no brainer and I have a lot of stainless on my bike anyway.
Cwc have their own brand of rims so although they may not be made on the premises, they are more than just bought in?

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
I have seen the quality of the Devon rims but they also have a youtube video showing how to build the wheels yourself. They claim to pierce the rims before chroming on steel rims. The stainless ones are very much near a chrome effect unlike some cheaper ones. Central wheel also have a good reputation so maybe choose by price and what you can find out. They are companies i might use if i had the need. Brickwood are another Company but is just one man so might not be so quick in turning out the product.
I think you have chosen the two better companies here.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Hi
Devon rim company every time for me.
I have never had a problem with a Devon rim, no ‘ripple’ at the welded join as seen with some other brands.
Stainless is polished to mirror finish on stainless rim. Chrome rims are proper triple plating, copper/nickel/chrome, not just nickel chrome of some other brands.
If you are restoring to original, the rims are stamped with the Devon name, not Jones or Dunlop, but if you do not mind this the I think the Devon rims are top quality.
Stainless over chrome, unless you want absolute originality then stainless every time, stronger and much easier to maintain. Fit and forget.
There is quite a jump in price from CWC to Devon rims, but you pay for what you get and the value remains long after the price is forgotten.

For the USA you might find it easier here, rather than a one off import from the UK.

http://www.britcycle.com/Products/554/DevonRims.htm

Regards
Peg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.