Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told by my local dealer that in order to change the rear tire that it needs to be cut off the rim. Also that the tire cannot be removed or the new one fitted using the standard mechanical equipment.
Has anyone else experienced this issue???
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just replaced mine myself using only a harbor freight changer. I did not have to cut the old tire off, although it was quite a task. I did however have to have a local tire shop use their air blaster to get the new car tire I installed to set the bead on that monster rim. Me thinks your guy is just setting you up for the big bill he would charge you for the tire change. But, I will go on record to say "it is not an easy job for an inexperienced tire guy like myself".

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've changed out several rear tires and I am a lousy to mediocre mechanic. Its not that hard. Get a good bike lift and the rest is just the usual wrenches/torque wrenches, plus the usual amount of frustration and foul language that goes with just about anything mechanical. However, I don't mount the tire myself I take it down to a local bike shop. They have said that getting the tire off and on the rim is more difficult than most motorcycle tires, but that is their problem not mine.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My dealer cuts the tyre off the rim. The tyre changing machine can do it but it is hard on the rim.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have been told by my local dealer that in order to change the rear tire that it needs to be cut off the rim. Also that the tire cannot be removed or the new one fitted using the standard mechanical equipment.
Has anyone else experienced this issue???
Thanks
That's crazy!
I'd avoid that dealer!
Changing the rear tire on the Rocket III is the same as other bikes with a 240 tire.

·
Banned
557 Posts
I can't exactly tell from the original posting but I think your trying to make the decision to replace the rear tire yourself or to use a dealer. In my situation, I was lucky enough to live in a larger city with multiple dealerships. I went with the smaller dealer that appeared to sell the most replacement tires, and they allowed me to watch the tire changing process. My prior tire changing experience was with dirt bike and much smaller street bike tires, which I accomplished using tire irons and much foul language. I certainly understand cutting the old tire if you lacked the right tire changing equipment. I wouldn't attempt to install a new rear tire using only hand tools, (after watching the install using the tire changing equipment) unless I absolutely had to and if I did I one need at least two more pairs of hands. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
855 Posts
That's crazy!
I'd avoid that dealer!
Changing the rear tire on the Rocket III is the same as other bikes with a 240 tire.
I am not a wheel guy, but the Rocket's rear doesn't have a drop center, so it is very difficult to change the rear unless you have the right equipment. Until my dealer got a new machine they would cut off the old tire.

·
Registered
563 Posts
This is not an easy task. I watched my local HD dealer break a knuckle over trying to replace that monster rear tire. He had 4 people helping him at one time! (Myself included) The lack of a drop space in the center of the wheel doesn't help the mounting. He had a manual tire changer and it was a real pain, especially trying to "protect" the soft billet of the wheel itself! He only charged me $35 for a job that should have cost $135!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I am not a wheel guy, but the Rocket's rear doesn't have a drop center, so it is very difficult to change the rear unless you have the right equipment. Until my dealer got a new machine they would cut off the old tire.
My local Suzuki / Kawasaki dealer changes my tires 'cause I don't have a machine here (and I don't want to do that kind of work anymore ;)). They didn't have any problems mounting my new tire but I guess they have proper equipment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts