Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it had to happen eventually I guess. I love my BMW Santiago boots. LOVE them. They fit me well, are comfortable all day long on the bike, they're warm in chilly weather yet not too hot unless I'm trudging around in properly hot weather, nicely armoured, breathable and waterproof. Hmmm. Scratch that last one. After a few years of serious use the left boot now leaks. Damn. This is worse than that bit in Old Yeller :(

I really can't complain after thousands of miles of flawless service from a pair of boots that I also love the look of. So in that spirit I'm treating this as an opportunity to seek out a worthy successor. Here are the Santiagos as reviewed by WebBikeWorld.com:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-boots/bmw-santiago-boots/

I like:
The discreet but rugged styling (mostly black, no hideously large / Barbie pink logos etc.)
The excellent armour
The sturdiness of the boots
The ease of use
The built-in totally waterproof but breathable Gore-Tex layer (I live in the UK so it rains more than in most rainforests. Seriously, we have people successfully farming moss over here)
The comfort - everyone's feet are different to the next person's of course but some boots are just really comfortable no matter what bike you're riding

I don't like:
The Santiago boots have been around since something like 2011 and BMW have now replaced them with a less attractive item (doh!)

Ladies and gents, could I trouble you for your recommendations for a replacement boot please? I'd be ever so grateful for some guidance based on real world experience or even reliable reviews you've found around the web.

Thanks,

Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I bought some Aermoto boots earlier this year, forget which model. They were not expensive but seem nicely made, not flashy, good protection, fit well, comfortable even walking around. I forget I have them on so you know they're not bad. I wish I'd bought them years ago.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
512 Posts
I love my Daytona Roadstar GTX - most comfortable boots I've owned. Wider than typical Alpinestar/Sidi boots which have my toes aching after a few hours. Seeing as you are in the UK you will likely have a wider choice of Daytona models than we get in the US. They are price-wise on par or higher than BMW kit, but worth it IMO. You can resole the boots and even send them back to Daytona for a full rebuild.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip. I've actually already ordered some Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex at a very good price.

They weren't too narrow for my feet (definitely narrower than some other boots though) so I reckon they'll be perfect. I'll report my findings of course. Here are the boots on the Sidi website.

Andy

·
Registered
90 Posts
I love my Santiagos too! I didn’t exactly replace them, just thought Id like an alternative after wearing them for six years. Revit Discovery are nearly as comfortable, seem a bit more protective, lighter, about as easy on/off, seem to run just a bit hotter in hot weather, verdict is out on longevity only because it’s just one year so far. Santiagos are broken in but look like they have another few years in them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts