Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i like the matt black scrambler ones,does anyone know if they are the same or if not if they will work well or at all,thanks..

·
Registered
336 Posts
I replaced my T-bird mirrors with screw-in Napoleons from British Customs. They're nice, but pricey. After switching to lower bars, I realized I probably should have gone with bar-end Napoleons.
If you're looking to save some bucks, why not just paint your existing mirrors black? I have worked with a bake-on teflon-moly coat that comes in a spray can. It's available from Brownells.com, costs about 30 bucks a can, bakes on in a regular kitchen oven, and is extremely durable. Here's how it works: "degrease and abrasive-blast the part; pre-heat the part ’til it’s warm to the touch, then spray Brownells Teflon/Moly Gun Finish and let dry. In about 15 minutes, bake in a regular kitchen oven at 350° F. for 30 minutes. As soon as the part cools, it’s completely protected from rust and ready for final assembly."
The only potential problem I can see is whether or not the plastic mirror heads can withstand the 350 degree oven temperature for the thirty minutes it takes to cure the finish. If they can, you're going to have a durable finish that must be removed abrasively. If they can't, you're probably gonna have a mess in your oven.

Brownell's also sells an epoxy spray paint gun finish called "Aluma-Hyde II", sells for 12 bucks a can, and is available in matte or gloss black (among other colors) Here's how it works:
"Aluma-Hyde II dries to the touch in only minutes and reaches full cure in about a week. Here’s the way we apply it: Warm the part and the Aluma-Hyde II to about 90? F.; spend a couple of minutes shaking the daylights out of the Aluma-Hyde II and apply a medium coat for good coverage. You can recoat in a few minutes but don’t wait more than thirty minutes. Once Aluma-Hyde II starts curing, you must wait until it’s fully cured to recoat. You can cut the cure time to approximately two days by circulating warm air (90? F. works fine) past the part. Absolutely no primer coat is required for a tough, durable, abrasion-resistant, rustproof finish that blends beautifully and compliments all gun finishing applications."

·
Registered
336 Posts
You're quite welcome. The nice thing about the spray finishes is that they're durable, rustproof, virtually mistake-proof if you follow the directions, and come in a variety of colors including a matte "stainless" that resembles bead-blasted metal. I've used the stuff on several firearms and it works great. I have some rusted bolts on my t-bird that I have been meaning to coat but I'm still trying to decide which color I want to go with (translated as just haven't gotten around to it yet (aka too damn lazy to mess with it right now)).
So, if you have some rusted/scuffed bolts, parts, or whatever on your Legend, you can do them along with your mirrors all out of the same spray can. Each spray can will cover two rifles or four handguns...you just have to figure out how may motorcycle parts that translates into.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
All standard metric mirrors will fit. Black mirrors look better on a Legend.
I saw some really great looking bar-end mirrors on a Street Triple at the International Motorcycle Show in Toronto on the weekend. They were very small, flat black and had a "Triumph" label on them, which doesn't appear on this picture of them from the Triumph online accessories web page.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bar-Ends

If you're on a budget, I picked up these bar-ends on ebay for about $30. I can see past my shoulders so far that I could probably get by with only one mirror if I wanted to. Minimal vibration effects either.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
I saw some really great looking bar-end mirrors on a Street Triple at the International Motorcycle Show in Toronto on the weekend. They were very small, flat black and had a "Triumph" label on them, which doesn't appear on this picture of them from the Triumph online accessories web page.
Man those look so nice. Exactly the style I want, I wonder if they come with the Triumph logo like you saw. If they did I think I'd have to have them.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
I have worked with a bake-on teflon-moly coat that comes in a spray can. It's available from Brownells.com, costs about 30 bucks a can, bakes on in a regular kitchen oven, and is extremely durable.
Hmmmm - seen this stuff mentioned before. I wonder how it would work over chrome plating??

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hmmmm - seen this stuff mentioned before. I wonder how it would work over chrome plating??
I think it would work just fine provided the parts were "roughed up" a bit with emery cloth or buffed with a wire wheel/brush and properly degreased before spraying it on. The coating is self-leveling so the "roughing up" marks won't show.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
A quick question for you bare end, sorry, I meant bar end guys. You always mention better visibility with bar ends, which seems odd to me. I can quick glance to my lollipops using eyes only without moving my head; if I glance to where a bar end mirror would be, I have to move my head to do this, and this takes my eyes off the highway ahead for a longer period of time. Now, I do wear progressive prescription lenses, which means my distance vision is done through the uppermost part of my lenses, so maybe this is why I have to move my head so much. Still, it seems like it would take at least twice as long to receive the same information from bar ends as I get from my stock mirrors. Any comments?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
By twice as long do you mean 1/2 of a second longer to look? With the aftermarket bars (Daytona Bars) it takes almost no extra time to look out 6-8" further. Also the bar ends all but eliminated the view of my shoulders! You really do get a better view of what's behind you.

And they look cool!:D

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
I do wear progressive prescription lenses,
So do I. And it takes quite a bit longer for my eyes to re-focus on something viewed in the lower part of the lens than it does to re-focus on something viewed in the upper part of the lens.
Plus I can't simply glance down, I need to move my head so that I am looking through the upper part of the lens.

I'm not comfortable with bar end mirrors simply because my corrective lenses make them uncomfortable for me. That makes me feel unsafe.

At 60 MPH 1/2 second is 44 ft. That's more than twice the length of my pickup truck. Maybe the difference between life and death.

Bar end mirrors look cool, and for folks with pretty good vision they are probably very good, but not for everyone.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Thanks for the moral support Denny! Taking this concept a bit further, I think that those of us "in the know" could come up with a quick system to determine the age of a passing motorcyclist (even wearing a full face helmet) as follows:
1- No mirrors, or duct-taped ones: 18 -25, lost them in an accident racing with their buddies (and barely making the payments on the Daytona, so can't afford new ones)
2- Bar ends: 26-35, employed long enough to afford them, and single (or keeps a separate checking account hidden from the "missus")
3- Stock mirrors: 45-65, married (and if the rest of the bike is stock as well, not clever enough to keep a pool of disposable income hidden from "her")
4- Stock mirrors, aimed incorrectly so that all you can see are trees and sky (which matters not, as you never actually use them): 65 and up, probably time for that trike, and hey, that's a cool looking white Bell helmet with snap on bubble shield that you're wearing!
:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Pretty funny observation on mirrors and the age groups that use them, ssevy. I had no qualms about riding without a right-side mirror when I was younger (I'm 56 now).
I live in New Your City, which adds a whole new dimension to the phrase "defensive riding". If I lived somewhere where most of my riding was on two-lane roads, I'd probably have a much different perspective. I describe riding on city streets as like being in a video game where anything continuously pops out at any time.
I have a Legend with black rectangular mirrors (don't ask me where I got them - the previous owner must have installed them). I bought a pair of round chrome mirrors to make the bike stock (and more retro), but I changed them back to the rectangular ones for the increased field of vision.
I've been thinking about bar ends, too, but when I imagine using them, it seems to me that, while my existing mirrors allow me to keep my eyes straight ahead, bar-ends would require me to take my eyes fully off of what's in front of me.
I'm anxious to hear what other bar-end users say (be truthful, guys)...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have those bar end mirrors on my Street Triple that I am selling... (Wahhh!!!). Anyway, was thinking I would put them on the Legend and sell the Streety with the stock mirrors. This just cements my decision. Thanks!

Anybody want a Graphite Streety!

The inevitable question will be "Why are you selling the Street Triple?"
Short Answer: I really love the Streety but my Legend is my first love and I find I cannot do the mods I'd like to do with my Legend while paying on the Streety. That Fugly tail light has bothered me since I bought it.

There will be time for another Streety down the road.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I have those bar end mirrors on my Street Triple that I am selling... (Wahhh!!!). Anyway, was thinking I would put them on the Legend and sell the Streety with the stock mirrors. This just cements my decision. Thanks!

Anybody want a Graphite Streety!
Those mirrors work perfectly on the Street Triple because its bars have very little pull back, but will they work on a Legend with the pull-back bars and thus the angle where the mirrors would attach? Having the two bikes you would be the perfect person to ask.

The current issue of Cycle Canada (May 2009) has a comparison article on the Street Triple and Speed Triple. They rave about both but the final conclusion is the Street Triple wins by a hair. That is pretty tall praise, I think. Are you sure you want to sell it?

Rick

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
The issue I had with the stock mirrors (rectangular) is I could not see behind me much at all and I am not a big guy. The mirrors showed too much of my shoulders. Literally had to slide left to look in the right mirror and visa versa. That took WAY more time than a quick glance right or left at the bar ends which on the highway is all you need to do anyway when most of the danger is in front of you.

I honestly thought about putting bar ends on the VFR but the bars are so much lower it would have created a situation where it would take a fair amount of time to look in them.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Those mirrors work perfectly on the Street Triple because its bars have very little pull back, but will they work on a Legend with the pull-back bars and thus the angle where the mirrors would attach? Having the two bikes you would be the perfect person to ask.

The current issue of Cycle Canada (May 2009) has a comparison article on the Street Triple and Speed Triple. They rave about both but the final conclusion is the Street Triple wins by a hair. That is pretty tall praise, I think. Are you sure you want to sell it?

Rick
I am absolutely certain I do not want to sell it. It is an incredible bike. You think it... the Streety does it. I am of limited experience and know it is amazing so I can only imagine what a seasoned rider must be able to do on 'er.
I will have another, just not a good time for it if I want to do anything with the Legend and she comes first. I ride too often on longer trips to have the Streety be my primary bike. This had been a very heart rendering decision, months in the making.

As for the mirrors, I plan on replacing my Legend's bars with Speed Triple bars. Thanks to the Streety, I want a more forward position on the Legend, among other inspirations. Think I'll have no problem except that I need to locate a set of TBird risers I think. Just now getting into this.

Might try out the mirrors on the Legend with the stock bars for the heck of it. Will post if I do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts