Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to remove my stock handlebar grips on Speedmaster and how to put on new ones. I would like to put the vintage grips on. Do I need a special glue. I heard hairspray works good.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
compressed air works

a bit of soap and water then air shot near the edge of the rubber will lift it enough to be removed. Same with back on.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Just a little refinement on what cocoselect said. I work a small screwdriver between the grip and bar. Then I lift it and shoot in some windex. If you work the screwdriver around it works the soap around too. Be careful not to puncture the grip. If it's stubborn, I have shot some compressed air. Once again, lifting that screwdriver helps get the air in as well.

I use artist spray adhesive. Be sure to clean the soap out of the inside of the grip if you would reuse them at any point.

Of course, if you're never going to use the grips again, you can just cut them off. Wouldn't recommend that though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Contact cleaner and compressed air works great to remove grips as well

·
Registered
251 Posts
just did this on my bonnie -- i used WD40 to get the suckers off, and a whole lot of grunting and swearing to get them back on. i tried hairspray, but found it not very helpful -- the size of the grips keeps them in place, no problem.

removing the grips is a really easy thing to do. go for it!

nick

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Hairspray

I've always used hairspray on my bikes.
You can use the same trick as with the wd40, but you don't have to make sure you get them really clean when you're done. It's slippery when wet and sticky when dry......

·
Registered
251 Posts
How do you get the WD4 underneath the grip.

just take something slim and long, like a small flathead screwdriver or a chopstick and wedge it under the grip. the rubber will flex upwards and not be damaged, then just squirt some WD40 or hairspray in there and give it a tug. should come right off.

oh -- the throttle side is a little harder since the rubber sits on the plastic throttle assembly, but it should work just the same. maybe be a little more gentle with the throttle side so you don't damage the plastic underneath.

cheers.
nick

·
Registered
143 Posts
try carb cleaner

Yep, a shot of carb cleaner ( careful of painted surfaces) between the grip and the bar and it will slide right off. Insert a screw driver to lift the edge, spray a few areas , and slide it off. Same with installation. A shot of carb cleaner ,slide it on and it sticks like glue.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Very timely thread for me as I am about to do the same when my New Bonnie Black Clubmans get here......

I am trying to understand the throttle grip...... and I have no idea about it since I have never taken it apart. What is the grip actually on since it rotates freely? Can I just slide the whole throttle assembly and grip off the end if I loosen it from the bars and take off the bar end?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Very timely thread for me as I am about to do the same when my New Bonnie Black Clubmans get here......

I am trying to understand the throttle grip...... and I have no idea about it since I have never taken it apart. What is the grip actually on since it rotates freely? Can I just slide the whole throttle assembly and grip off the end if I loosen it from the bars and take off the bar end?
You betcha.

·
Registered
42 Posts
just did mine. pour boiling hou water over the old ones, and they slid off pretty easy. Put the new ones in hot water (not boiling) for a few minuets, and they will slid on

·
Registered
4 Posts
Grip question

I've read many posts about using the air compressor/WD40 to get grips on and off. Any recommendations for the hard plastic grips on the McQueen T100? The grips aren't really flexible enough to get a screwdriver between the grip and the bar and there isn't enough space to get at it from the flanged end.

Also, any recommendations for a more comfortable 1" grip that fits with the McQueen subdued style? Thanks!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I did this not 2 weeks ago, as mentioned in other threads get some canned air, remove any screws from the grips. Work the spray air tube under the end of the grips.

Squirt the canister and the grips will inflate like a balloon - whilst this is happening wiggle them gently off. If you know your new grips are ok, just cut the old ones on.

WD40 to get the new ones on - had no issues with slipping - I found it a real bitch to get them on and used a fair amount of wd40

·
Registered
92 Posts
did I order the right new grips

The grips in thumbnail from Third Gear arrived today. They are about a quarter inch shorter than the stock ones. I've put bar end mirrors on and I put locktite on threads....great :()
Have Genmar riser coming from NewBonneville which may take up to 4 more weeks to arrive but want to put grips on now/tomorrow.
My question is;with the new grips being a tad shorter would loosening off the bar clamps (controls) and just pushing them closer work...yes/no? But when the risers go on will there be enough slack in the cables remaining or do I return the cute grips?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Getting a Grip

Mr. Calliway,

To answer your question about the throttle.

The throttle grip is the same as the left hand side except that it is inserted over the throttle sleeve. That sleeve just rotates on the handle bar and is held captive by the ear which holds the throttle cable ends that rotates in the housing.

I might be wrong but I doubt that the whole assembly can come off with the cables attached. There is probably not enough slack in the cables. It would net you nothing anyway as with the assembly in place on the bars, it gives you a firm platform to remove the grip.

I personally use rubbing alcohol and compressed air for grip work.

Namaste,
Charles

1 - 17 of 17 Posts