Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
thats a personal choice. some here use it, some dont, and both have reported excellent results with both methods. i personally use a really thin layer of a gasket maker and the replacement gaskets called 'the right stuff' made by the same company that that makes the grey RTV sealant. never had any issues, and the stuff comes off relatively easy when you want it to. i just look at it as a little extra added insurance that it wont leak after i reassmeble. just dont want to go through removing it and doing it again, but if it's done properly you really shouldnt need any kind of sealant.

·
30,533 Posts
Sbpark is spot on. If your gasket surfaces are properly clean and free from scratches and nicks, you do not need a sealant. However, peace of mind is a good thing - just make sure you use your sealant sparingly - you don't want excess dripping inside the engine and getting to places it shouldn't go.

I have removed and replaced the clutch cover twice and the gear selector mechanism cover once on my bike - no leaks, and no gasket sealer used.

Good luck! Take your time, be thorough and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
totally agree with prop, and the best advice is to just do it right the first time, and the best bit of advice is to just take your time and not rush. some recommend using a spoon to remove to old, stuck on gasket, others use a razor blade or gasket scraper. i've also used green scotch brite pads with good results. if you clean the surface and remove all the old gasket material and dont nick or ding the surface you should be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts