Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my low fuel light is on 24/7.
The resistance measured is 87 ohms when full so I know that my float is most likely stuck.

I want to replace the sending unit BUT if possible, can I just replace the float?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stuck or possibly it's ruptured and so full of gas
You can't buy the float separately so only option is to remove and it and see what you've got going on
Part number is T2400201

I'm wondering if anyone has investigated this option?

I'd prefer to replace the defective part rather than the entire unit if possible.

·
Super Moderator
21,501 Posts
I'm sorry, you are correct
I wouldn't order that until you see what is actually wrong with it but recognize the hassle of removing the old one, then waiting unless you do
My (uneducated in this instance) guess is that you would lucky if this ships anytime soon ..... (but see above, already wrong once in this thread :D)
I think it might be prudent when you are low on fuel to bite the bullet & remove the tank and investigate it. Should not have completely drain, just turn on it's side. But of course be careful!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry, you are correct
I wouldn't order that until you see what is actually wrong with it but recognize the hassle of removing the old one, then waiting unless you do
My (uneducated in this instance) guess is that you would lucky if this ships anytime soon ..... (but see above, already wrong once in this thread :D)
I think it might be prudent when you are low on fuel to bite the bullet & remove the tank and investigate it. Should not have completely drain, just turn on it's side. But of course be careful!

I fully agree with you on the hassles of the whole thing. For less hassles, I'm just gonna replace the entire unit.
I like to investigate things like this but I don't want to not be able to ride. Seems like more of a winter project to play around with the float.

Thanks for chiming in, though. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
watch out the entire unit is expensive, I removed mine and tried to troubleshoot it, but ending up buggering it up as at some point you have to cut through the tube, so ended up purchasing the complete thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I contacted the dealer and it's $110 Canadian which isn't too bad. I'm just gonna pull the trigger and order it.

Does anybody know how much fuel is left in the tank once the fuel light is triggered?

From what I've been able to look up, average for a tank is about 360 km/220 miles.

Is this about the range that other riders are getting per tank?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ironically enough, my next ride out, the fuel light shut itself off.
I recently purchased the bike and I think it sat for a while. My guess is that the fuel tank was empty and the float was stuck at the bottom. After a few rides with drain and refill, it freed itself up.

What mileage are you getting from a full tank and from a full tank to the point of the low fuel light coming on?

I just want to make sure that as I'm testing out if the low fuel light is actually working, I don't inadvertently run out of fuel. lol

Thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your 04 is the same sender as my '00 Sprint ST, the ethanol in the fuel warps the circuit card in the sender, causing the float to get jammed up at the top or the bottom of the range. Refilling the tank and riding a while causes the float to overcome the friction holding it down. But then it doesn't float back down to trigger the warning light any more.

I had debated replacing it, but the new one will fail in the same way. I just use the odometer now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts