Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Thruxton. I had my first crash at low speed and the biggest expense is going to be the tank. Dealer quoted $950 for a painted replacement tank. I'm seriously considering buying a used tank and having it painted to match. I have a Haynes service manuel and it says that Bonneville/Thruxton tanks from 01-04 are 16 litres while the 05-07 tanks are 16.6 litres. I would prefer to have the same sized tank, but if I found an older one, would it fit? Are there any issues I should consider when examining a used tank? Thank you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always thought they were the same, but was surprised to read in the Haynes service manuel that they had a slightly higher capacity starting in 05 for Bonnevilles and 06 for Thruxtons. Was it an internal design change? I have a carbed 07. I know that here in the US for 08 they had some EFI tanks on bikes with carbs. Is there any reason I couldn't use an 08 or later tank on 07?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dents are in two places. On the left side, there is a 2-3 inch dent above the emblem where the bike fell on my arm. On the right side, the dent is in middle of the knee pads. I don't know how I dented the tank with my right knee when the bike fell to the left and but thats how it goes. Good learning experience. Thankfully I was wearing boots, leather jacket, chaps and a full face helmet. Even at the slow speed I was going, the bike hit the ground hard.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
On the right side, the dent is in middle of the knee pads. I don't know how I dented the tank with my right knee when the bike fell to the left
It probably dented when your knee bounced off the tank,as you hit the ground.The Bonnie tanks are paper thin.You can cave in the area around the fill hole with sloppy nozzle handling at the pumps.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Have you been by a body shop to see what it would cost to have the dent pulled? If the paint was not damaged, there's no creases, and depending on how deep the dents are, you may even be able to take it to someone who performs paintless repair.

Bummer by the way about the spill. I put mine down at a near stop on gravel last year and put a silver dollar sized dent in mine where my tool roll (in the side pocket of my tank bag) got wedged between the tank and bars...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pulling the dents would be nice and I'll check out the possibility, but I'm not that hopeful. It is more likely that they could be repaired with Bondo, but I'm not too keen on that route. The major expense would be the repainting anyway. I'd rather buy a straight used tank and repaint. Gravel was involved in my crash as well. I adjusted my clip-on rear view mirror which caused it to become loose. I decided to find a nice safe shoulder to pull over and tighten it. Found a spot that looked safe (viewable from both directions of travel and wide) was "only" traveling at about 10 mph and pulled off. After that the bike went down so fast that I'm not really certain of what I did. My guess is that I hit the front brakes way too hard or turned the wheel a bit and the front lost traction. Anyway, it was my first crash and a good life lesson about just how easily a bike can lose traction.

·
29,948 Posts
You should check the RAT.net classifieds - I saw a T100 tank for sale on there. Don't know if it's still up for grabs I haven't checked in a while.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Sorry you dropped your 'bike, too easy to do just what you did. To paint a tank properly would cost easy $300 without fixing dents (I'm in that line of work). Your Thrux may have stripes which may/may not be available. Good used tanks are available regularly on eBay for approx $300 + shipping, Thrux tanks usually a little more. Your dented tank has value, I myself am looking for some thing to work with as a project. Like you mentioned, a new tank is big bucks which is why used tanks command a good $.
Somebody mentioned here a while ago that most colours from 2001 on are still available so if you go new, the world is your oyster.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Your dented tank has value,
I was thinking the same thing. I've thought about buying a damaged tank for the tunnel and sides to build a Manx tank. Around here, we can get all the Bonnie parts painted for $500.

When I low sided my Thruxton, there were three used tanks already in my color for around $350. I'm still running my tank and holding out for a Manx.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Paintless repair can work wonders..

Dropped a wrench on the top of my Bonnie tank. The paintless repair is undetectable.

Took the tank off and secured it to the bench with straps. The guy did his magic through the petcock penetration. $100 and looks like new.:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was talking to someone today that is had a tank repainted for $300.00. Based on that I'm going to be looking at Ebay and craigslist for deals. I haven't decided if I'm going to put the racing stripe decal on or not. I am sort of leaning towards turning my Thruxton into something that looks more like a cafe style Bonnie Black but with polished engine covers.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I have an 07 Thruxton. I had my first crash at low speed and the biggest expense is going to be the tank. Dealer quoted $950 for a painted replacement tank. I'm seriously considering buying a used tank and having it painted to match. I have a Haynes service manuel and it says that Bonneville/Thruxton tanks from 01-04 are 16 litres while the 05-07 tanks are 16.6 litres. I would prefer to have the same sized tank, but if I found an older one, would it fit? Are there any issues I should consider when examining a used tank? Thank you.
Orpheus is selling his stock T100 tank in the RAT.net classifieds...$275 + shipping.

http://www.triumphrat.net/parts-hinckley-twins/98664-bonneville-t100-red-black-stock-gas-tank.html

Jason

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I saw the T100 tank in red and black in the classified section of this forum and I'm interested, but I haven't heard back from my private messages so I don't know if it is still available. I also haven't seen anything listed on Ebay or craigslist that isn't already damaged. Besides buying new from Bikebandit (nice site BTW) - is there another good place to look for used triumph parts?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
your dented tank may have value but not very much
I had my choice of 3 "used" tanks that were basically brand new unscrathed for $200.

Really if the tank is not creased and the paint is OK then check out "paintless dent repair". Or try a "dent King" they do work.
Post a pic of the tank. chances are it is not that bad.
Pressure dings are easy to repair.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
They may not be stylish but they saved my skin (Literally). And I can wear jeans under 'em and take them off as soon as I park.

The only road rash I had was a small patch at my waist where my jacket pulled up slightly. If I just had jeans on, despite the low speed, I would have lost skin from the side of my leg at the shin all the way to my waist.

An overly developed sense of personal dignity went out the door with the onset of middle age and marriage. If someone sees me in my chaps and either marks me as Harley rider or on the way to the Folsom Street Fair, I can deal with it.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
hehe. i am just giving you a hard time and am happy you are ok. i have wrecked twice, once around 20mph and only suffered a small quarter-sized spot of road rash on my knee and the second tiime no road rash wearing carhartt's. also have BMW city pants. i always ride with a jacket with armour be it mesh or leather, appropriate gloves and a full-face suomy helmet. the second time i suffered bruised ribs and a mild concussion. both times on the thruxton. luckily never dented or scratched the tank either time but did a number on the engine covers which i have polished out both times and you would never know! good luck in getting your tank fixed. $950 is ridiculous. shouldn't be too bad finding a used tank in the same color if your paint is still stock.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts