Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Does anyone have any idea how to replace the cork seal on the chrome gas cap for a 1970 650 twin?

My cap has been leaking gas so I purchased a new cork seal only to discover that I have no idea how to pop the spring loaded plate on the inside/underside of the gas cap out so that I can fit the new cork seal in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've never personally know anyone to try and replace it...I'd just buy a whole cap. Around $30 bucks. Steadfastcycles have some nice ones identical to the orginals.
Probably not the answer you wanted

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I believe I did one years ago and you simply pry or lift the cork gasket off the spring loaded base. It's probably stuck there from age; my '70 parts book shows the gasket as a separate piece and the cap is a complete unit with the spring loaded base as an assembly. By the way, you're not filling the tank so full that the gas is oozing out of the vent hole when it expands, are you?? Don't ask me how I know about that..........

Go at it gently...so sayeth the "village idiot": Jim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm about to just buy a new one. And no, I'm not overfilling it. I'll give the pry trick a shot and get my $30 ready for the eventual purchase of a new cap.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I believe I did one years ago and you simply pry or lift the cork gasket off the spring loaded base. It's probably stuck there from age; my '70 parts book shows the gasket as a separate piece and the cap is a complete unit with the spring loaded base as an assembly. By the way, you're not filling the tank so full that the gas is oozing out of the vent hole when it expands, are you?? Don't ask me how I know about that..........

Go at it gently...so sayeth the "village idiot": Jim
Hi Jim good to see you again.

What is the world coming to? A guy can make this new seal out of sheet cork, in all of two minutes, for all of $2.00 yet, will spend $30 instead on a whole new cap, rather than make the darn thing. too much money around these days Jim.

Just for the likes of you and me Jim. The sheet cork (natural or composite) is just right for the tank cap. It does take a week or so to become a perfect seal as the cork compresses and seals on both surfaces. From then on it's "fill 'er up to the brim", no worries. RR

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Hi Jim good to see you again.

What is the world coming to? A guy can make this new seal out of sheet cork, in all of two minutes, for all of $2.00 yet, will spend $30 instead on a whole new cap, rather than make the darn thing. too much money around these days Jim.

Just for the likes of you and me Jim. The sheet cork (natural or composite) is just right for the tank cap. It does take a week or so to become a perfect seal as the cork compresses and seals on both surfaces. From then on it's "fill 'er up to the brim", no worries. RR
Too right RR :)
One thing, if you do make a new seal, you may want to soak in in hot water to expand it a little and make it more flexible, after fitting let it sit and dry out overnight and you're good to go.

Webby

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Hi, Retro.....
This coming out of the deep dark recesses of my "subterranean salon" twice in two days is very hard on the eyes; I was just getting used to the subtle brilliance of the luminescent lichens that I like to read by, and now I've got to wait for my eyes' pupils to dilate once again. Agree with you totally on this issue.........half the pleasure of owning one of the classics is making your own bits and having them work. As the old saying goes: "Made by man, can be fixed by man".

Well, it's time for the "village idiot" to go back into the dark: Jim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, the issue I'm having is not how to make another cork gasket or fit it properly. I have that all taken care of. The issue I'm having is that I can't see how to take apart the gas cap assembly. The cork seal is seated behind the spring loaded plate with a smaller diameter than the seal on the inside/underside of the gas cap. It's attached with what looks like a cotter pin in the center. I somehow need to pop that out and remove the plate so i can take out the old cork gasket behind it and put in the new one. I just didn't want to start prying and damage anything, thus necessitating the purchase of a whole new one. Any ideas?

·
Registered
123 Posts
The issue I'm having is that I can't see how to take apart the gas cap assembly. ................... I somehow need to pop that out and remove the plate so i can take out the old cork gasket behind it and put in the new one.
You don't need to do any of that! Just hook out the old seal with a small screwdriver or similar and fit the new one in place. It will go on but be careful with it.

When it first gets wet with fuel, it will swell up but should shrink again when it dries. It may take a while for it to stabilize.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm...ok, I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight. I'm having a hard time seeing how that would work since the cork gasket diameter is bigger than the diameter of the spring loaded metal plate and looks like its supposed to sit behind it. Not sure how i would get it there without removing that plate...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Slippery Sam. You were completely right. Once again my talent for making things more complicated than they need to be has been verified.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts