Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting details set for taking my '03 ST on a 4K mile trip in May. The chain/sprockets have 21K on 'em. I'm considering replacing both before leaving. Any ballpark estimate on cost of parts/labor for this job? I'm thinking of doing the work myself, but might turn it over to a tech. I don't think I have to tools/talent to do an endless chain, I'd probably have to install a master link. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Txryder,

Do a search on this site. There are a bunch of threads on the subject.

First thing you need to do is determine if you need to change the chain. Measure the length, and do the 'pull-test' on the rear sprocket. My chain has 23k on it, and it (and the sprockets) are fine. Very little looseness in the links, the chain has no 'kinks' in it, and the sprocket teeth show almost no wear.

Of course, I lube it regularly (with the Dupont Teflon Multi-Purpose Lubricant) and I'm not too rough on acceleration.

If the chain or sprockets are worn, then refer to the first line of this post.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Parts should be $200ish for aftermarket, more for Triumph, closer to $100 if the sprockets are still good & you only need the chain. No idea on the labor, sorry. If you haven't done the 18-tooth front, now might be a good time.

I replaced mine at around 20k miles, just before a 4k trip I took last April. I used an EK chain with a "Screw-Type" master link. Made the job so much easier that I'll probably never use another type or take it to a tech again.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a DID 530VM Gold Series chain and steel sprockets from www.spocketcenter.com for $186.95 + 6.95 shipping. I stuck with the 19 tooth front sprocket. I also purchased an RK chain breaker/press for $110. Obviously, I did the job myself. It was not difficult for those with some mechanical inclination.

·
Registered
286 Posts
txryder:
Where are you at in TX. I might be able to put you in touch with someone that will help you out so you can do it yourself. Or I can if you are around me.

I just orded new chain, sprockets, and tires, I am also having to take the bike in for its 24000 checkup next week. I will be putting on the tires and stuff on in Arlington next week when the bike gets out of the shop. If you are around you can come hang out and see how its done.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
txryder:
Where are you at in TX. I might be able to put you in touch with someone that will help you out so you can do it yourself. Or I can if you are around me.

I just orded new chain, sprockets, and tires, I am also having to take the bike in for its 24000 checkup next week. I will be putting on the tires and stuff on in Arlington next week when the bike gets out of the shop. If you are around you can come hang out and see how its done.

That'd be great, thanks for the invite. I'm in Lindale, about 2 hours east of Arlington. BTW, what Triumph shop do you use?

And thanks for the chain tool info, oldndumb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts