Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up these EBC sintered pads and want to get them on my bike ASAP. I've got the basic user manual (not mechanic's instructional manual), the pads, a bottle of brake fluid, the necessary tools (maybe) and very limited mechanical know-how. From what I've googled, it's a pretty straight forward, simple job. All the same, I'd really prefer not to mess up this particular maintenance if I can help it. If someone would walk me through the specifics of what needs to be done, or direct me to somewhere/one that will, that would be awesome. Also, what tools are needed? How long will it take?

Thanks, homies.

edit: Pads. Brake pads.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Brake Pads

I just picked up these EBC sintered pads and want to get them on my bike ASAP. I've got the basic user manual (not mechanic's instructional manual), the pads, a bottle of brake fluid, the necessary tools (maybe) and very limited mechanical know-how. From what I've googled, it's a pretty straight forward, simple job. All the same, I'd really prefer not to mess up this particular maintenance if I can help it. If someone would walk me through the specifics of what needs to be done, or direct me to somewhere/one that will, that would be awesome. Also, what tools are needed? How long will it take?

Thanks, homies.

edit: Pads. Brake pads.
I certainly would not be fitting sintered pads on my 955 or 885. They chew out the discs that much quicker (and discs are real expensive). It has to be remembered, the material our discs are made from has ended up producing a soft end product. Normal or 'green' pads are more than suitable. Although they may not last as long, pads are cheap compared to discs.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
No, I'd have to disagree there.

I put brand new front & rear disks on my Adventurer when I bought it (about 2 years ago, made by MetalGear in Australia believe it or not!) and brand new "organic" pads in (also by MetalGear). After 18 months the standard "organic" pads had started to wear grooves in my new disks.

I switched to sintered on the front about 6 months and 3000 kilometres ago and there has been no change in the condition of the disk.

The bonus being that I get no black [email protected] on my wheel rim anymore. I'm just waiting for the rear to wear out so I can switch that also to sintered, saving me tons of time and effort cleaning my rear rim!

Maybe the sintered pads I have are exceptional quality, no idea, but so far I'm very happy with them. They're "EBC Goldstuff Double-H".

·
Registered
694 Posts
The EBC/HH pads are excellent, no problems with rotor wear. I've got 52K combined miles on my Sprint ST, and my 98 TBS with no measurable wear. The stopping power is much better, plus the Sprint has seen 2 track days at Hallett. tommyturbo2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts