Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I bent my front b reak lever on my 09' street triple when it fell over and out of a stand, I ordered a new lever and it should be coming in later this week or early next week. I recieved a new hugger and got it installed and as i was working on that i looked at the lever again. I decided to take it apart to see how easy it would be to fix, and it looks fairly easy, however when i went to put it back on it seems to not be on correctly. I put the spring back in but now it seems like the break doesn't want to pull closed, but it will flex open, is this right? what have i missed? The break still works, but i thought the break would like expand closed not expand open if that makes any sense.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Never seen a Street Triple lever up close, but every other brake lever I've seen bolts on with no more than a bolt, a nut, & maybe a washer. AFAIK, you shouldn't have a spring to deal with when changing levers. Sounds like the Street Triple lever is adjustable, and yours is broken.

Pics would definitely help here.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I will take a look at it later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for your help. That's pretty much how mine was, however there is a spring in the assembly too that looks like it popped out of place and like i might not have put it back together completely right. Thanks for the help though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey SMF77,

At the risk of sounding like a wisenheimer, might I also suggest picking up a shop manual for your S3. It sounds like you like getting into the nitty-gritty and personalizing your beauty. A shop manual might help to stop you for learning some of the more expensive/time consuming lessons that I've learned, prior to picking up a shop manual (if you know what I mean :brick: ).

Regardless, wish you all of the best with this. So how did it work out? According to manual on mine, this should be a fairly straight forward procedure. Oh, there are a lot of guys in this forum that are particularly brainy on all things mechanical (me being a novice on Triumphs). I would probably catch up with folks like Oldndumb or Decosse, the later uses an S3 as his avatar and has posted some particularly scary technical stuff. Hope this helps. Ciao...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts