Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
It's been a while since I followed up. I have about 3 grand on the Rosso Corsa IIs (not as many miles this past year) - but they are still amazing tires. I will replace them with the same when the time comes. Still plenty of good tread on the rear (and the fronts still look relatively unworn apart from the scrubbing). I only ever ride this bike on back roads/twisties, so the miles they do have on them are fairly demanding - we are blessed with great roads in the area for spirited riding. Unless things go south quickly, I may very well get 5 grand or more on this pair.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Out here it's a long strait ride to any twisty roads so the DRC's are showing cord at 2000 miles while the sides look new! maybe if I start doing track days.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
We don't have inspections here:) Crazy, I was 2 1/2 hours out in the country as that's how far away any decent twistys are when I stopped to look at a map app to see where I was and MT my bladder and I walk back to my bike and those tires that looked decent a couple hundred miles earlier were showing patches of cord! The edges still looked new! clearly a great tire for the track, long strait roads not so much.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I will probably switch to Dunlop Q3+ when I wear these Pirelli's out... I really like the feel of the Dunlop's and have had good luck with them on the street and track... They run a little wider too, which I like. The Q3+ in a 180 runs about the same width/footprint as the Super Corsa does in a 190...

·
Registered
56 Posts
We don't have inspections here:) Crazy, I was 2 1/2 hours out in the country as that's how far away any decent twistys are when I stopped to look at a map app to see where I was and MT my bladder and I walk back to my bike and those tires that looked decent a couple hundred miles earlier were showing patches of cord! The edges still looked new! clearly a great tire for the track, long strait roads not so much.
I meant at a track day. (y)

·
Registered
358 Posts
At 9100 km I still have OEM tires. They don’t look bad from any side...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I went with the Bridgestone S22's in the end. To date all I have done is a qualifying day and a race on them but so far I am pretty happy. The grip is nearly as good as the Super Corsas and in theory they should last twice as long.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone tried the Avon? I used them in my previous bike (Aprilia Shiver) and they were amazing. Like, another bike than the one I rode with the stock Dunlop. Those where the Avon Ultra Sport and I'm tempted to get those when I'll have to swap them. But I've also seen there is a new "Spirt ST" which looks interesting. Any clue?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Anyone tried the Avon? I used them in my previous bike (Aprilia Shiver) and they were amazing. Like, another bike than the one I rode with the stock Dunlop. Those where the Avon Ultra Sport and I'm tempted to get those when I'll have to swap them. But I've also seen there is a new "Spirt ST" which looks interesting. Any clue?
I'm running Avon 3D ultra sport on the Daytona at the moment and on the front of the Thruxton (with a 3D storm XM on the rear for mileage).
the only comparison I've got is with the metzler M7RR on the Daytona, I found the dry grip much better with the Avons than the Metzlers (had a couple of rear end moments with the Metzler that's why I changed initially), I know the m7 RR is supposed to be a good all-weather tyre but I much prefer the Avon ultra sport in the dry, don't ride in the rain unless I'm caught out anyway.
The only downside is despite being good value initially they haven't lasted as long as the previous Metzlers, I got 7500 miles out of my previous m7rr rear but after 4200 miles the rear Avon has about 1 mm left to the wear limits so will probably only get to around 5000 miles.
I can't remember the exact price difference but they may have been around two-thirds of the price of the M7RR when I bought them so with the reduced mileage will probably work out about even.
I'd still recommend them though, despite being quite an old design now they are more than good enough for me as an average road rider, and 5000 miles isn't bad for a sports tyre.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd still recommend them though, despite being quite an old design now they are more than good enough for me as an average road rider, and 5000 miles isn't bad for a sports tyre.
Agreed, 5000 miles is pretty much the threshold for any sport tyre, even less if you really 'waste' them, and that's exactly what I've got from my Ultra Sport.

I too tried the Metz but they where the 5 and GT version I guess, can't really remember the exact model now since I just put them on to go on vacation in order to have a stiffer compound for the highway. They where remarkably harder overall, even after a ton of Km in the italian summer in sardinia (hot like hell), not the best feeling with the bike loaded with bags and whatnot. But they did their job and surely lasted much more than the Avon. The Avon warmed up really fast and didn't cool down at all, even under the rain. Not that I race in wet conditions but the grip was surprisingly good. They also turned into glue when I was really hammering the throttle, amazing feeling.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Putting on new tires tomorrow. The stock Pirelli's have a little tread left at 1,700 miles, but the front is down to the wear bars...

So I am tossing on a set of Dunlop Q3+ in the morning... hopefully I will get more life out of the new set.

I like how the Pirelli's feel, but I can't be spending $400 on a set of tires literally every month...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Good to know about the Bridgestone's (few posts up). I have S21's on the Buell Firebolt - and they've been fantastic (better than I expected, to be honest). The S22's look like a great upgrade as well. What mileage are folks getting with them?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ran through the Supercorsas in about 2k miles... have about 6k on a set of Conti Sport Attack 3s now, and they're mighty close to the wear bars... I've been quite happy with them, but thinking about trying something new just because. The SA3s are WAY better street tires than the supercorsas. Supercorsas beat them on grip on warm dry days on spotless roads.. a rare occurrence in the northeast. The Contis are much better in every other scenario- cold, wet, gravel, chunky tar snake covered roads, etc. Did 2 trackdays on them, only slipped on me twice throughout the day, both times on lap 1, turn 3- cold tires. The slips were very predictable and recoverable, and when they got warm (about half- 3/4 a lap) they stuck like glue.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts