Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
So my Rosso Corsa stock set is at 2K miles. Pretty much all of that is corner carving. There's some noticeable and even wear, but I think I will get 3,500 or so miles on them all told.

I have a pair of brand new Rosso Corsa IIs sitting in the closet...I'll report on how they do once I get them on the bike. I believe they're supposed to get 10-15% more mileage than the originals? Might be remembering that wrong. That would get it to about 4K miles...and that's as much as I get on Q3's (Buell Firebolt).

I know these tires all wear out quickly, but I freakin' love the way the Rosso Corsa tires grip the road.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Rear stock is down to the steel. Squared off at 6000 km's. Highway commuting with a little aggressive weekend riding. Will not see the track but they will get wet. Chicken strips under 1/2 inch.

I am thinking Pilot 5s or Angle GT. Any other options and or opinions out there. Must have been a bunch of people swapping out tires lately.

Cheers,
If you spend longer times on the highway then you really can't go wrong with either of those choices. Two top choices for the type of riding that you do.

Keep in mind that most tire manufacturers will run mail-in rebates about 3 times a year (Spring, Summer, Fall). You can save some money that way.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I put Continental Sport Attack 3s on my 2012 Street Triple R, last year. So far, I think they are great. In the rain, they runs circles around the stock Pirellis. I can't comment on wear yet, though. Only have several hundred miles on them.

·
Registered
360 Posts
So my Rosso Corsa stock set is at 2K miles. Pretty much all of that is corner carving. They're some noticeable and even wear, but I think I will get 3,500 or so miles on them all told.

I have a pair of brand new Rosso Corsa IIs sitting in the closet...I'll report on how they do once I get them on the bike. I believe they're supposed to get 10-15% more mileage than the originals? Might be remembering that wrong. That would get it to about 4K miles...and that's as much as I get on Q3's (Buell Firebolt).

I know these tires all wear out quickly, but I freakin' love the way the Rosso Corsa tires grip the road.

I look forward to hearing from you. I think I will go with Diablo Rosso III when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Diablo Rosso Corsa's on the R were gone at 8000kms / 5000mls with a mix of 80% city/highway and a 20% sporty twisties.
Good predictable tire, even got me through some winter weather driving gingerly.
I do think they could survive an outing on track, they have plenty more to give but they need some warming up.

Gonna put the new Rosso Corsa II's on next week.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Is it just me that doesn’t feel that confident on the wet with Rosso Corsas? It wasn’t a total downpour today and when I opened the throttle I spinned the wheel...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Nah. Depends on how and where you ride. I got 4900 km and I think I will easily push it to 8000 km/5000 miles which may just be the end of the season.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Installed new Pirelli Corsa Rossa 2 (the new version of the original 765 R tyre) .. lets see if they last as long as the version 1's.

Btw, please do your tyrechanges at a dealership or a bike shop..
Saving 20 bucks on the tyres at a big general tyre dealership will cost you on the back end with overtightened forks which ruin your bearings or they break your expensive TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m having Michelin Road 5’s put on this week. I’m at 3200 miles on the stock tires and there’s still some life left but I don’t want to gamble on tires. I’m not that aggressive of a rider so I’m hoping for better wear characteristics over maximum grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
563 Posts
Or do the tire changes yourself :)

Five tires done so far (on my bikes) - meticulously done per service manual procedures, no extra marks on rims, all bolts/etc. torqued perfectly - something like $200 or more saved.

Of course - that means I'm only about $100 better than even - because you do need to get a decent bead breaker and a set of tire spoons, balance beads, etc.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Installed new Pirelli Corsa Rossa 2 (the new version of the original 765 R tyre) .. lets see if they last as long as the version 1's.
Just put the Pirelli Rosso Corsa 2s on my bike as well. The original Rosso Corsa pair lasted me 3,750 miles. I should have had them changed at 3,600 or so.

Went for a scrub in ride today - 50 miles, twisties. I did *not go easy on them..no need as this pair is crazy grippy. I threw the bike around like police don't exist, and I still have 1" chicken strips after slamming it through turns. I'm already impressed - just hope they get at least 3,500 miles (or until the next Pirelli rebate).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too liked the supercorsas on my 765 RS, fantastic tyre in the dry.
However, I live in Scotland where we are only a few hours away from the next downpour, and the supercorsas are woeful in the cold and/or wet.
I put on a pair of Michelin Road 5's. Brilliant, just brilliant. The 765 has so much natural mechanical grip, that I reckon you could put on almost anything and it would handle perfectly.
The road 5's handle much the same as the supercorsa's, except they are slightly slower to flip-flop in chicanes, otherwise in the dry I cannot push myself to the limit of the tyre, it just keeps gripping all the way until I'm scared. The flip-flop difference is only slight, now that I have done 3000 miles on them, I couldn't tell the difference.
In the wet there is no contest, the road 5's give much more confidence even in an inch of standing water, and switch on much faster in the cold.
Wear? probably the road 5's will do twice the mileage, I'll update when they are worn out in the spring

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I am forced to get a new tire for my 2018 Street Triple R. It has a puncture, and the plug is not holding pressure.

So, I see that Triumph only approves the Diablo Rosso Corsa. While they grip well, the milage is very low (around 3000 miles or less from what I have researched). The Michelin Pilot Road 4 (not the GT) looks to be a good tire for my purposes. I am willing to give up some traction for three times the mileage.

I wanted to start a thread about good choices in tires for this bike for the future, when I will need to replace my tires again. I have already ordered the Pilot Road 4. I want to ride this weekend with my daughter and her fiance.

Anyone have experience with the Pilot Road 4? Other tire suggestions for a rider who likes to ride the mountain Twisties, no plans to go to a track, and avoids long rides on the interstate.

EDIT: This area (north Georgia) gets about 55" of rain per year (100+ days with rain per year); although I do not ride if the forecast says there is a 30% chance of rain or more.
The OEM tires are about as grippy as the come but not without flaws.
Tire life being the main issue. They are soft so wear horribly.
They tend to not warm up quickly in cooler temperatures and in the wet they are marginal.
The PR 4’s have been replaced by PR-5’s.
Very soft side walls and longer wearing rubber in center. (Dual compound)
They are a good choice for street riding where you might actually ride when it’s raining. They are one of the best rain tires on the market. I’ve not noticed any less cornering ability between the original OEM and the PR-5’s. (On the street).

·
Registered
37 Posts
My R's Rossa Corsa's lasted about 4.500 km and still had plenty to give despite two track days (albeit one at rather moderate pace as it was wet most of the day). I only replaced them because a big fat nail punctured the rear, and as the bike is expected to see more track work a repair wasn't an option.

In any case, it was a slow leak so took it to the nearest local small tyre shop as it wasn't worth the risk taking it 25km to the dealer. Let them put on new Rossa Corsa IIs, and I have to say, they feel outright amazing. Maybe it's simply going to a fresh tyre, but I can't remember the original Corsa's (which were great in their own right) feeling this good.

Reading up on them, with the multi-compound construction (5 zones) they're supposed to be longer-lasting too, as well as better in the rain. Oh, and offer 95% of Supercorsa's performance on a track... (which means 1 or 2s in the hands of a 'god' on a medium track, probably zero in mine) - looking forward to testing that out!

On a side note, I see some people referring to Rossa Corsa 3 or IIIs, something which caught me out as well. But just to be sure: the latest version of the Corsa is the v2. There is a 'Rosso III' tyre, but that is an entirely street-oriented 'sporting' tyre (while the Corsa is the full hybrid that is also suitable for track though not race usage).

As for putting a more sport or even touring oriented tyre on this bike, for normal road usage that is clearly the way to go. If you even think about some light track usage however, these Corsa IIs are probably your best bet as they still a realistic option for running your bike in the cold & wet (where Supercorsa's are apparently marginal).

·
Registered
592 Posts
Saying the supercorsas are "marginal" in the wet is way too kind. Those tires have the mininum tread needed from the DOT to be street legal, and are completely worthless in the wet. On a warm, dry day they're hard to beat though.
I went to the new Conti Sport Attacks and have been happy so far.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
My super corsas are done at 5000 kms. I think I am going to put on S22's put am also considering the T31's. The Bridgestone guy here says I should get 8,000 kms on the S22's or 12,000 kms on the T31's. The main reason I am thinking S22 rather than T31 is that I ride the twisties a lot and will be doing five or six track days this year, maybe as many as ten if I get persuaded to run in a newbies championship. I guess the S22's will double ok as track tires but the T31's would not. Can anyone attest to any of that? Have any of you run the S22's or T31's? What kind of mileage did you get out of them? Oh and the reason I am not going Pirelli again is simply price, at over $500 a set three sets a year is just too much to swallow.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts