Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
In reply. I'm a pretty heavy guy so I stick to a higher inflation in my rear. It feels less sure footed if I go beyond 36lbs.

The Rosso 3's are designed to handle wet conditions from the reviews. If they are subpar than something else that something else probably gives something up elsewhere. I was highly focused being really new to this. I expected horrific and catastrophic failure. But they did it way better than I thought.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i used metzeler m7 rr tires on my daytona and was very happy with them. i will switch to them on my 765 rs when the current supercorsas wear out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
In reply. I'm a pretty heavy guy so I stick to a higher inflation in my rear. It feels less sure footed if I go beyond 36lbs.

The Rosso 3's are designed to handle wet conditions from the reviews. If they are subpar than something else that something else probably gives something up elsewhere. I was highly focused being really new to this. I expected horrific and catastrophic failure. But they did it way better than I thought.

Well...a couple of things :) Understand that I live in Southern California where it rains once every 100 years if we need it or not. The very few times I’ve been on Rosso II’s or III’s and in the rain all kinda ****e was sliding every which way but loose including the Ducati. At those moments I wasn’t really concerned if the Rosso’s were “designed” to ride in the rain or not. They we’re slick. All sorts of slick :)

The other point is....absolutely. Tires that excel on the track give up “everything” to the rain. Tires that excel in the rain give “everything” to the track. The Rosso III’s are clearly tires that tend to “give” on the traction side and “give up” on the rain side. That’s cool as that’s what they were designed to do. My only point was (in my experience) extra care is prudent while riding on a Speed Triple (or a Ducati Monster 1200 ) with Rosso’s, in the rain!

·
Premium Member
8,628 Posts
I can attest to the slickness of CA roads when it rains. I got there in 1987, and woke up my first morning to rain and the guy on the radio saying, "it's raining, so if you don't have to go to work, just stay home." I huffed a very conceited sigh of derision and got in my car. I was born and raised on the edge of the snow belt in NE Ohio. A little rain? Pfffft. I got to the on ramp for I-5, which had a fairly sharp curve at the base of it, and just about under-steered my GTI right into the Armco. It was eye-opening.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jack, the "slickness of CA roads" has mostly to do with the fact that with this many people concentrated in relatively small urban areas more cars need repairs and have oil and coolant leaks (most common). That also leads to a lot more collisions that may or may not get properly cleaned up. So all that oil and coolant and other fluids just never gets soaked up. As soon as it rains all that oil and crap that WAS down below the main surface layer of the cheaply redone asphalt and tar-slicked roadways floats on the surface of the rainwater that is on the roads. Mix that with the retardedly distracted driving one sees in any major metropolitan area and you've got a recipe for disaster.

All that said, the best idea for us as Riders is to have properly inflated sport touring tires in good condition (CHECK the wear bars on your tires) that perform at least decently in the rain and use some common sense when riding in the rain in traffic. That means give yourself more stopping distance, be smooth on the controls (both throttle AND brakes) and be EXTRA aware of everyone around you. That includes, by the way, your own speed in relation to the surrounding vehicles. The 1050, 675, and 765 motors spin up faster than your average inline four and certainly faster than the average twin.

As to specific tires, I can tell you that I've had mainly sport touring tires on all my bikes. Even the sport bikes. Why? Because without exception, they are the best value if you actually ride that bike on a daily basis. If you commute on it AND canyon carve with it, you simply can't get better tires. Because it has been the fastest growing part of the motorcycle market for quite a few years now the R & D and technology that has gone into them is second to none.

My personal favorites have been The Pirelli Angel ST's and the Angel GT's after them. I've had cheaper sets like the ContMotion's (NOT recommended) and the more expensive Michelin PR3's and the Dunnlop Q3's as well as the Bridgestone version. Out of them all, the Pirelli's have worked the best for me. In dry and wet conditions. For both sport and commute/touring duties. In terms of overall mileage out of the tires too. They've squared off the least and inspired the most cornering confidence when the pace picks up in both the wet and the dry. All the way to the wear bars.

NOTE: All these tires were on a Ducati ST2 over a number of years

The Michelins feathered too quickly on both the front AND rear tires and felt like crap about halfway to the wear bars. Very round profile tires, kinda slow turn in, kinda blah. The Dunlops on the other hand, had a weird, overly triangular or sporty feel that made them "fall in" so quickly that it made the bike feel top heavy and somewhat twitchy. Very planted once you were IN the corner, but still. The two different sets of Bridgestones that I tried were not very long lasting and square off a bit too quickly. They felt unsafe at higher speeds in the hills well before they had worn down to the bars. They were ok, just not great. The Pirelli's have been pretty darn good year round. To be fair, that's not true for everyone. Some people hate them. (shrug) They work for how I ride. You'll have to see if they work for you.

I ride year round. even when it is raining hard outside. The only time I don't ride if if there is a serious wind advisory on the Bay Bridge. Been there, done that, not fun to get pushed around when the wind is gusting AND it's raining hard on the BB. Anyhow, just my two cents. Good luck in the search.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
The diablo rossi corsa 3's on the back of my sdr were down to cord in 2000 miles with like new conditions on the edges, I can see why guys would track with those tires but for me someone that has an 80/20 split to hwy vs fun stuff a good sport touring tire like the pr4 is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Might wanna check these out,hard to beat the price.$189 for a set.
I buy from riders discount often,service has always been great....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4874209&share_tid=236145&share_fid=91413&share_type=t&share_pid=4874209

The Pirelli Diablo Rosso II Tire is the "ultimate sport tire for absolute road use." The Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tires can be ordered by calling TJ at 866.931.6644 ext. 817 or by sending......

·
Registered
86 Posts
So those Supercorsa were amazing but the mileage you get from them not nice and $$$$....
Today I switched for Rosso3, also my RS getting the 10k services at Triumph and tomorrow scrubbing those new rubbers/first impression

·
Registered
566 Posts
Between my old Ninja 650 and my Street Triple, I've been through several sets of Pilot Road 3/4's. I never had any problems in "sane" riding unless I hit some sand or something, and I got rather long wear out of them. That said, I switched to Pirelli Angel GT about 3,600 miles ago and I've been very impressed with that tire, which also happens to be a bit cheaper than the Michelin. It's a little early to say on wear, but it looks to be roughly the same as what I was getting from the PR4.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ran Pilot Road 4's on my RSV4 as a commuter and canyon tire around the bay area. Great tire in absolute downpour and dry pavement. They are sticky enough to get a knee down if that's what your after, but I switch to slicks for the track.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not an expert and I'm not a good rider. Once I had Angel ST on my Street Triple and from one hand I was able to knee down but from the other hand I had some uncontrolled slipping. After that I bought Metzeler Sportec M5 and I feel way better on them. I know people who can do almost anything on any tire but, as I mentioned, I'm not as good and I need to have better tire :wink2:
Personally I prefer to have definitely more softer tire with shorter mileage. But I've never tired any Pilot Road.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thought is resurect this thread rather then begin another Tyre thread!

So 1st question what mileage are people getting out of their Supercorsas before they put on new rubber?

2nd question what are people replacing their OE tyres with?

I think the Supercorsas are amazing, but after 1000Ks I can tell they aren’t going to last long. That said I’m not a huge mileage rider, so it’ll be a while before I need new tyres, which is all well and good except the Supercorsas in wet weather aren’t exactly coincidence inspiring and the thought of going through winter with half worn out Supercorsas is not ideal... but then againId hate to replace them when there is still meat on the bone, so I guess I’m stuck... ah well.

Now I’m more interested in what I will replace them with, so far my options are 1)Supercorsas
2)Rosso Corsa 3s
3)Dunlop Sport Smarts... kinda a wild card...

I think the Rosso Corsa 3 might be a good option for winter and summer road riding, again I’m not massively worried about mileage...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had metzeler m7 rr and really liked them. Good in dry and wet and very smooth rolling left and right (no feeling like you just fell over). Will probably put those on my rs when needed. I am however curious about the rosso iii since Ive never had them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you want more of a sport-touring tire, I liked the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires I had put on my Yamaha FZ-07. Since I was going on a long trip, the claims of longer tread wear and better stopping performance in wet conditions caught my attention. I rode the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Dragon (and many other dry and wet twisty roads) on those tires, was pleased with them in terms of how they felt on lean-in and back up, and seem to do a good job in the wet as compared to my buddy on different tires who kept telling me his ABS was going off when trying to stop. Never got to use them up however, I traded the bike in for the Triple.
I think the Road 5 tires just came out, supposed to be an improvement over the PR4. Something I might look into when my tires are due.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I used to ride on Michelin Pilot Power 3 on my Speed Triple R, and I think I'm going for that option on my Street Triple RS as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’m not really that great of a rider to say how good they are. Only have had them on for about 1k miles
Well none of us are I suspect :)... how do they compare to the Supercorsas? Not being funny, genuinely interested. I had Rosso IIs on my Panigale and they were a good all weather tyre... did everything well, but not outstanding in any single area.. but if you ride all year round, like I do and are blessed with warm summers and wet winters, choosing a tyre that will work for 4 seasons can be a challenge... weather is also way too random to have winter and summer tyres...

For me I’m going to see how I get on with the Supercorsas through Winter (southern-hemisphere) and when Summer rolls around again, I suspect I’ll be needed new rubber... my suspicion is I’ll go for Rosso IIIs as they are meant to to be much better then the IIs... but the Supercorsas are amazing... I love how they stick to a dry ride... I might not be of the same opinion after a winter on them... haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rear stock is down to the steel. Squared off at 6000 km's. Highway commuting with a little aggressive weekend riding. Will not see the track but they will get wet. Chicken strips under 1/2 inch.

I am thinking Pilot 5s or Angle GT. Any other options and or opinions out there. Must have been a bunch of people swapping out tires lately.

Cheers,

21 - 40 of 89 Posts