Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am forced to get a new tire for my 2018 Street Triple R. It has a puncture, and the plug is not holding pressure.

So, I see that Triumph only approves the Diablo Rosso Corsa. While they grip well, the milage is very low (around 3000 miles or less from what I have researched). The Michelin Pilot Road 4 (not the GT) looks to be a good tire for my purposes. I am willing to give up some traction for three times the mileage.

I wanted to start a thread about good choices in tires for this bike for the future, when I will need to replace my tires again. I have already ordered the Pilot Road 4. I want to ride this weekend with my daughter and her fiance.

Anyone have experience with the Pilot Road 4? Other tire suggestions for a rider who likes to ride the mountain Twisties, no plans to go to a track, and avoids long rides on the interstate.

EDIT: This area (north Georgia) gets about 55" of rain per year (100+ days with rain per year); although I do not ride if the forecast says there is a 30% chance of rain or more.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
As far as tires go, I would be willing to bet that whatever works on the 675 will work on the 765 and there are already several threads discussing tires.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have ridden with guys that have tried both the Pilot 3 and Pilot 4 tires. There are no negative reports that I can remember. I've never owned a set but the guys I ride with like them. Please report back after a good weekend of road carving. I will be in the same boat as you next year assuming I can get some miles in.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
As far as tires go, I would be willing to bet that whatever works on the 675 will work on the 765 and there are already several threads discussing tires.
I have limited search capabilities now. This forum does not come up on my computer, only my tablet. Says: " Server not found"

I did a search and found nothing about tires and Street Triples.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I was having the same issues yesterday, but everything seems to be working fine now. The gist of the discussions have been it's pretty hard to find a bad set of tires these days. You just need to decide whether you want more (dry) grip and less mileage (sport), or less grip (but more in the wet) and more mileage (sport touring). I've been partial to Bridgestones for awhile, and currently have a set of (sport) S21s on my bike, but I have a set of (sport touring) T30s under my deck that I'm going to put back on after my last track day this year.

This might help:
http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/752234-recommend-me-sport-touring-tyre.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/817594-pirelli-rossos.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/806129-booked-track-day-will-metzeler-m7-rr-suffice.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/769562-best-sport-performance-street-tire.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/764346-angel-gt-z8-or-road-attack-2-evo.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/710746-tires-for-my-girl.html

Disclaimer: I didn't take the time to read through all these to ensure there was relevant information. Sorry

·
Registered
67 Posts
BKK Jack -- you mentioned Bridgestones and I'll simply add that I had Bridgestone Battlax tires on my '12 FZ8 and I really liked them. Great all around tire with plenty of grip for spirited driving, and they wore *great*. I had a lot of confidence in them and I'm certain that those tires would hold out and grip long after I chickened out.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was having the same issues yesterday, but everything seems to be working fine now. The gist of the discussions have been it's pretty hard to find a bad set of tires these days. You just need to decide whether you want more (dry) grip and less mileage (sport), or less grip (but more in the wet) and more mileage (sport touring). I've been partial to Bridgestones for awhile, and currently have a set of (sport) S21s on my bike, but I have a set of (sport touring) T30s under my deck that I'm going to put back on after my last track day this year.

This might help:
http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/752234-recommend-me-sport-touring-tyre.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/817594-pirelli-rossos.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/806129-booked-track-day-will-metzeler-m7-rr-suffice.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/769562-best-sport-performance-street-tire.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/764346-angel-gt-z8-or-road-attack-2-evo.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/710746-tires-for-my-girl.html

Disclaimer: I didn't take the time to read through all these to ensure there was relevant information. Sorry
Thank you for the links.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Of course I'm new to Triumph's and Triple's but for years I battled the see-saw of my Ducati's and whether or not I should go with grip or longevity when it came to replacement tires. Also in SoCal rain is never an issue unless it's a ginormous "lack of" so wet grip never was considered. I finally settled in on the Rosso II's and for my last set on the Ducati the Rosso III's. They are a compromise that clearly leans more towards the "grip" side of the coin but I really, really trusted them and was able to squeeze maybe 3500 miles out of the back. They're not high milage though.

Still the Corsa's that come on the 765 are ridiculously confidence inspiring and honestly I'm betting' when its time to change em I have the same. I'm not one who does a lot of custom work on my bikes so I do spend on tires when appropriate!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do like the grip on the Diablo Rosso Corsa tires which came on my 2018 Street Triple R. I think I am being pretty aggressive in my corners (yet photographic evidence counters my subjective impression). I have never felt the tires lose traction in a corner, other than when I encountered some debris (branches, leaves, gravel, and grass) in the road.

I have only recently come back to riding motorcycles after a 40 year hiatus. I am loving it so much that I have bought two Triumphs this year, a Bonneville T-120 and a Street Triple R.

I have noticed comments in the thread which state that the tires are greatly improved over the past. I agree.

My one "big bike" in my ancient past was a Kawasaki 900 or Z1 maybe a 1972 or 73 model I bought used for around $1,000. Comparing the Z1 to my Bonneville, the Bonneville corners a little better. I think that is because of the tire technology today.

The pic attached is from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Z1.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was in the same boat as the OP. I got a nail in the rear Supercorsa at 3600 miles. I don't live in the where the roads are all crooked and fun, but about 2,000 miles of this wear was in the mountains. Pictures attached.

After the flat (which wouldn't take a plug) I replaced the Supercorsas with a set of Pirelli Angel GT's. I've never had these tires before, but they feel as good as the Supercorsa's on my local roads. Granted, I only have 150 miles on these so I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but pushing them as much as I can around here they offer excellent grip, equal feedback to the Supercorsa's and they are super smooth. I'll see where they are in another 3,000 miles.

Pilot Road 4's - I've been through about 8 sets of these on various bikes and are currently on my wife's Speed Triple. The last rear tire (PR4) on her bike went 9,000 miles which is great on a high-torque bike like that. My previous bike was an FZ-09 and I got almost 11,000 miles from the last rear (PR4). The Attached picture is her current PR4 with just over 3,000 miles. HTH

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've had excellent results with the Michelin PR3/4 tires already mentioned in this thread on both a Sprint and a Street Triple. They grip well for wet and dry use and give excellent tread wear for commuting and leisurely back country road riding. No experience with them on a track. The OEM Diablo's on my Street Triple will be replaced with Michelins when the time comes. Nothing wrong with them, just want something that will give a little more tread life for my kind of riding.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Everyone will have different opinions and all tires will have their fans.

I've always run Dunlops on my Harleys. But between my Buell and my Triple I've run Corsas, Pilot Roads, and Sportmax 3s. The Sportmax 3s feel just as sticky as the basic Corsas for me. And the rain performance is definitely better. And with the multi tread they will last longer than just about anything if the Dunlop multis on my Road King are typical - 17000 front and 23000 rear.

Based on my experience and on everything I've read, basically all the newer multi tread tires are sticky enough for us mortals and will last twice as long as the Pirelli Corsa. For me it came down to rain performance and cost, and the RS 3s won on those counts. They're also said to maintain grip and handling when worn better than others. At $169 for a rear it was a no-brainer.

However YMMV.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Forgot to mention that the RS 3s also seems to 'help' the suspension on rough pavement. When I switched to them I feel the bike both became more stable at lean and also the pothole jarring was more muted.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I now have 500 miles on my new set of Michelin Pilot Road 4s. I am not a good enough rider to tell whether the PR 4s have as much dry grip on the roads as the Diablo Corsas. I am not willing to risk my health and my bike to push the edge.

I find them to hold the corners at speeds that I am finding exciting (totally subjective).

I was told that I could run the rears with 34 - 38 pounds and the front with 32 - 34 pounds of air pressure. Figuring out the proper pressure will take me some time.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I now have 500 miles on my new set of Michelin Pilot Road 4s. I am not a good enough rider to tell whether the PR 4s have as much dry grip on the roads as the Diablo Corsas. I am not willing to risk my health and my bike to push the edge.

I find them to hold the corners at speeds that I am finding exciting (totally subjective).

I was told that I could run the rears with 34 - 38 pounds and the front with 32 - 34 pounds of air pressure. Figuring out the proper pressure will take me some time.
No you're absolutely right. I suspect many of us (myself included) most likely don't ride, at least often, where we would put the Pilots in jeopardy of losing grip, assuming of course decent dry weather. The Pilots are a great tire with a fantastic reputation.

That and as I mentioned earlier I go through the big grip-vs-long lasting debate virtually every time I change my tires. The only intangible though is the idea of trust. I had 4 or 5 sets of Rosso II's and III's and I grew to really, really trust them. It's probably more psychological than pragmatic but real enough to keep me coming back to the Rosso's even though a tad more expensive and a tad less long lasting. The Diablo Corsa's however I found almost immediately trust worthy. Maybe that just an extension of the Rosso's and maybe it's just how much more agile the Street is compared to the Ducati but I trust em. That has some intrinsic value I suppose which is why I'll probably get em again :)

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I've got quite a bit of experience with the Michelin Pilot series (Buells and Triumph Sprints and Tiger) and one thing I've noticed is the front tire will cup over time if you let the pressure go below 36 PSI cold.
It might be different on a Street Triple but I'd stick with 36 front, 38 rear like I run on my bikes.
Great tires!

·
Registered
69 Posts
My bike was bought with a fresh set of Rosso 3 tires. I'm somewhere between 1500- 2000miles on them. They seem to be wearing evenly and looking good.
I have zero experience with anything else really. My Speedy is my first bike of my very own. Tire pressure does bother me and I tried to find a definite concrete answer as to how I should run them. I tried different settings to experiment. I'm pretty happy with 38psi rear and 36psi front for myself. It handles great and like I said the wear is even. I check and adjust tire pressures every single day I ride it and inspect them. So far pleased with what I see and feel as I ride.

I did get caught in a significant rain. Having oh, two weeks maybe riding experience on it I was terrified. I took it very easy because I had no idea what to expect. Only thing on my mind if what if? Very nervous about it! Especially seeing cars spin and slide. But to my surprise they hooked pretty well. I didn't slip, slide or spin driving with caution at reasonable speeds. Didn't feel any hydroplaning going on. They felt pretty stable and it helped build confidence in them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My bike was bought with a fresh set of Rosso 3 tires. I'm somewhere between 1500- 2000miles on them. They seem to be wearing evenly and looking good.
I have zero experience with anything else really. My Speedy is my first bike of my very own. Tire pressure does bother me and I tried to find a definite concrete answer as to how I should run them. I tried different settings to experiment. I'm pretty happy with 38psi rear and 36psi front for myself. It handles great and like I said the wear is even. I check and adjust tire pressures every single day I ride it and inspect them. So far pleased with what I see and feel as I ride.

I did get caught in a significant rain. Having oh, two weeks maybe riding experience on it I was terrified. I took it very easy because I had no idea what to expect. Only thing on my mind if what if? Very nervous about it! Especially seeing cars spin and slide. But to my surprise they hooked pretty well. I didn't slip, slide or spin driving with caution at reasonable speeds. Didn't feel any hydroplaning going on. They felt pretty stable and it helped build confidence in them.
On the Monster (1200) I found a good spot on the Rosso’s at 33 front, 36 rear and if I felt like it might turn into a bit more aggressive ride (which I almost never do anymore) and it was warm, a pound or so less. Mind you that’s a completely different bike with a ginotmously different suspension and an engine diametrically opposed to a Triple so draw no inferences. I’d probably go with what the Speed manual suggested and stick with it for 2 or 3 rides just to get used to those pressures and build a little muscle memory. Adjust from there.

I have for years checked tire pressure before every ride. Just has become a seamless part of the routine. I will say so far the Triple has fluctuated a bit (maintaining pressure) in the early stages but I recall the Monster did the same thing until things settled.

Don’t wanna be a safety pup kinda guy but the Rosso’s are only so good in the rain. New to a Speed Triple, rain and Rosso’s III’s would, for me, demand utter concentration. They are decidedly not a rain tire per se :)

1 - 20 of 89 Posts