Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Sorry about the title, I didn't really know of a better way to put it..... I need to replace one of the rear shocks on my Thunderbird Commander because of my recent accident, so I've decided to take the opportunity to replace both of them with something that's better than stock. Right now I'm leaving towards the Hagon Nitro progressive shocks. But I have a question... I'm a bigger guy; last time I weighed myself I was somewhere between 125 and 130kgs which is around about 20 stone. Is it going to be a big problem for me to find shocks? Would it be easier for me to buy a set of shocks that suit the Rocket, given that they would be more heavy duty due to the weight of the Rocket? I really need to figure this out coz it won't be very long before the rest of the bike will be repaired and I'll have to wait for who knows how long before the new shocks arrive.

Sent from my SM-F916B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
641 Posts
Have you checked ikon? They can customise the shocks to suit your weight. My ikons shocks are pretty comfortable for my 120kg bulk

Reactions: HomerSimpson

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked ikon? They can customise the shocks to suit your weight. My ikons shocks are pretty comfortable for my 120kg bulk
That's, good info, thanks for replying.

I have contacted them, but I'm also waiting to hear back from Fast Eddy. I would also like to lower the rear of my bike a little which complicates things a bit more.

Sent from my SM-F916B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
There is a correct spring rate for each rider, based on their weight, and to some degree riding style. Any shock manufacturer that will set up
a custom shock for you should be able to sort that out. I bought a Nitron shock a few years ago and it was set up perfectly. You might have
a look at them as well.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
the springs carry the weight + the shock-damper controls the shock. shorter shock springs need to be stiffer having less working length. i like Bitubo WME's about $500, lots of choices but note the heavy aka end of a better shock should be up.

·
Registered
1200XE and Thunderbird Storm
343 Posts
I have Wilbers shocks on my Thunderbird - nothing to touch them in my opinion (quality wise) and they are made to measure - you tell them your weight and they fit the right spring. Mine are longer than stock in a bid to find a tad more ground clearance. 90mph bumpy sweepers have gone from a white knuckle ride to a cinch. Not cheap though, but then they appear to be turned from a solid billet - lovely bit of engineering.

PS forgot to say I'm about 18 stone in leathers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts