Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm awaiting a set of highlander bars from bellacorse, and thinking that when I swap them on, I'm not going to want to keep using bar-end mirrors. I don't think they'd work well with the bars.

I also don't want to go back to the stock round ones - though they'll be higher, I got rid of them in the first place because I couldn't see around myself.

I've read up on the popular VMax/VStar mirror swap, but so far as I can tell these are only available in chrome. I've been blacking out most of my Bonnie, and would like to stick with replacement mirrors in black.

Anybody find any black mirrors that either mount in the stock holes or attack to the stock arms?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'm awaiting a set of highlander bars from bellacorse, and thinking that when I swap them on, I'm not going to want to keep using bar-end mirrors. I don't think they'd work well with the bars.

I also don't want to go back to the stock round ones - though they'll be higher, I got rid of them in the first place because I couldn't see around myself.

I've read up on the popular VMax/VStar mirror swap, but so far as I can tell these are only available in chrome. I've been blacking out most of my Bonnie, and would like to stick with replacement mirrors in black.

Anybody find any black mirrors that either mount in the stock holes or attack to the stock arms?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff, I've looked high and low for any decent mirrors in black... I haven't found any...

But what I have done is get a set of the V-max/Silverado mirrors and sanded the (Triumph) stems and mirrors, hit them with an automotive metal primer and then satin black paint... I let them tack off and then finished them off in a warm oven for twenty or so minutes...

They seem to hold up fairly well... They will scratch if hit on a hard surface but are easy to touch up or re-coat...

BTW... I purchased a set of genuine Yam. mirrors off e-bay for a good price... They better made than the Emgo or cheap plastic ones...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Napolean's

Thanks,
Jeff

I used some Black Napoleans from Dale Walkers (Holeshot.com) on my Thruxton until I did a brake upgrade, and they were / are excellent I felt. I think I still have them. Check out the product at

http://www.holeshot.com/

They are a perfect fix, no adaptors, etc.

Andy

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I used some Black Napoleans from Dale Walkers (Holeshot.com) on my Thruxton...
Unfortunately, Bonnevilles don't use a threaded mirror stem like your Thruxton does... hence the problem finding decent mirrors for a Bonnie (that aren't bar-end mirrors). Bonnie mirror mounts are a piss-poor design IMO. Why they didn't use threaded holes is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Highlander Bars

I'm curious about the highlander bars - please share your opinion of them once you get them!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Jeff,

Almost any Harley-Davidson mirror can be fitted to a standard/T100/EFI-only Thruxton & Rocket III without too much drama.

The 8mm hole in the control housings will allow a SAE 5/16" bolt or stud to pass through. A little fiddling with some spacers should yield excellent results.

And yes, the Yamaha-spec mirrors with screw-on 10mm heads can be attached to stock mirror stems.

Clip-on equipped Thruxtons and Scramblers use an odd-ball RH thread 10mm stems. Most metric bikes use a Yamaha-spec LH & RH threaded stems. You need to be aware of this when mirror shopping.

/Mike

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Jeff, you posted, "I also don't want to go back to the stock round ones - though they'll be higher, I got rid of them in the first place because I couldn't see around myself."

I took my Scrambler mirrors and modified them. I took them off and put more bend in rod at the same place the factory had. They lay flatter and closer to the handle bars. The mirror is out farther towards the end of the handle bar grips. It gave me almost a full rear view without my shoulder blocking part of the view. I was ok in the summer months but during colder months when I wear a coat almost one third of the mirror was blocked. What it did fixed it for me.

odie

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just ordered a set of Rizoma Dynamic black mirrors for my '08 Bonnie from PJ's Parts (awesome people). I asked if they would work, and they said I needed to buy the adapters to make everything work. I'll let you know how they turn out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the recommendation of just putting a threaded standard 10mm mirror through the stock mirror mount hole in mind, I went shopping yesterday and found a cheap set of black Emgo mirrors that seemed like they'd work perfectly - and they do. Dropped them in and used the tapered nuts they came with turned upside-down to secure them from underneath.

They don't even vibrate much, at least not compared to my original stock mirrors or the bar-end Napoleons I've had on for a year.

Thanks,
Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts