Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gauze filters on my fuel-tap in the petrol tank have dissolved away pretty badly. I've tried two Triumph parts places, one in Ireland and one in the UK, but both say I have to buy the complete fuel-tap assembly (which is pretty expensive) to get these two little filters. Any bike shops I've called in to say that they wouldn't have anything that would fit.

I've searched through the past threads here but haven't managed to find anyone with a similar problem. Has anyone managed to find away around this? Any other parts which may fit?

I have put in an in-line fuel filter at the moment between the tank and the carbs and there is a filter where the fuel line goes into the carbs between carb 2 and carb 3 but there are still particles making their way into the float bowls. If I could eliminate the stuff getting into the lines in the first place that might stop so much debris making its way into the carbs.

Any information appreciated.

Mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I might look into something like that Mike.
I've parts on order and when I'm fitting them i'll take the fuel-tap apart again and check the diameter of those filters and see can I get something to fit. I might try something like a Lawnmower/Agricultural Machinery shop as well.

I ordered the carb to engine rubbers today (the unrestricted trident ones) from a guy in Triumph-ant in Wales. He reckons they are the best fit in his experience on the Mikuni carbs on the Thunderbird. I spoke to him about my fueling set-up and he reckons with the unrestricted rubbers, 3 into 1 pipes and with two 1.5inch holes drilled in my airbox that the 120 / 40 set-up on the Mikuni carbs is what they would usually use. I went with a new air-box and stock filter for the time being as the air-box housing isn't staying together very well and it works out around the same price for the K+N filter or a new stock filter and new housing.

The bike is running now but I think it's running too rich. It doesn't have great power in the higher rev range and feels a bit bogged down. The carbs are still only balanced by eye and trial and error so I'll bring it to somewhere in Cork or Limerick when I've all the new parts fitted to see if they can sort the balancing a bit better. I don't have the funds at the moment to put it on the Dyno rolling road in Cawley's or the place in Castleisland. That'll have to wait until I'm finished in college.

I'm heading to the Bike show in the RDS on Saturday I reckon. Are yo heading up yourself?

Mark

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Hi Mark,

Yeah, I'm heading up to the RDS tomorrow & see a mate with a TB Sport. No money to spend but I can ogle the new shiny stuff :D

Didn't know about a dyno in Castleisland, wonder what it costs?

Did your (front) airbox have extra holes in it ? Hadn't realised that - jetting makes a lot more sense then....

I'd be happy to balance up the carbs for you if you can get over to me. (I've a covered area to work under.) I'm near Ballyvourney off the N22 (Killarney-Cork) if you know it ?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
In Line Fuel Filter

If you have a good quality one fitted (gauze or paper) then almost nothing except fuel will pass through them. The tap filter in the tank is basically a strainer and will prevent paint flakes and larger debris heading for the small duckbill filter. The latter too is strainer.

I use an automotive type fuel filter bought in any parts accessory shop out here, shaped like a small sausage it fits neatly out of site under the tank.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
A further thought....

It occurs to me that the tap filter, sticking up in tank as it does, gets continually washed by fuel sloshing about. It therefore won't clog as much or as easily as an inline type - an important device for ensuring flow doesn't get restricted over time.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I was thinking of removing the in tank filter and relying on the two line filters. That might not be a good idea?
No, I don't think so - very much the gist of my last post.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
A further thought....

It occurs to me that the tap filter, sticking up in tank as it does, gets continually washed by fuel sloshing about. It therefore won't clog as much or as easily as an inline type - an important device for ensuring flow doesn't get restricted over time.
It will take many thousands of miles for a quality in line filter to block. By all means repair the strainer gauze on top of the fuel tap, but in my humble opinion, they are only doing a very small percentage of required filtering.
If you have two inline filters fitted, then the tap filter becomes truely redundant.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I may go with denny's suggestion and try and get one from a Magna. At the moment I have an in-line one and the one where the fuel line goes into the carbs and there is still stuff getting into the float bowls.

Having them in the tank would appear to get to the root of the problem rather than try and deal with them already in the fuel lines. The one on the main "In" line has completely worn away so I'm currently driving with the reserve tap on all the time. The reserve filter, while better than the main one, is in very poor condition and has large-ish visible holes in it. The problem with this is due to the fact that the reserve inlet is so close to the bottom of the tank, gravity will dictate that more crud will pass through as the crud tends to settle at the bottom of the tank. If I get one for the higher main filter, as Mike said it would probably be washed over more than the ones lower down.

I'll try and find some that will fit over the next week or so. I suppose they cost very little and it is better to be safe than sorry. I'd rather spend an extra 20 mins and a few euro now rather than have to pull the carbs apart again in a few months time.

Thanks again for the advice and info. I'll leave you know how i get on.

Mark

·
Registered
472 Posts
I agree....It only takes 15 minutes to change out the petcock and a few bucks....less ales for the next 2 weeks but sure beats sucking a big chunk of something into the carbs...that takes hours and a few bloody knuckles....well worth the peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
The petcock is a stock Japanese mikuni (iirc) item - find a used petcock from the same manufacturer on ebay or similar and rob it for the filter - alternatively visit your local Kawasaki dealer.

The petcock filter5 doesnt do as good a job as an inline filter - however, it does protect the rubber seal in the petcock itself.

Fit both

·
Registered
188 Posts
clogged reserve filter almost left me walking.

Ran out of gas today... not an easy task when you've a secondary fuel cell, but I did it. My normal procedure: ride until I go on "normal" reserve, turn on the pump from the fuel cell and transfer all the gas to the main tank. All went fine. Then I get to reserve again - and I was dry, no reserve. the reserve pipe in my tank must be clogged and wouldn't let any, well, not enough gas through to ride on the highway. Just enough to stop and go on the curb to limp to a gas station. And fuellishly I filled both auxiliary and stock tank and need to drain the tank to flush the filter.

what say you all; reasonably hypotenuse?:confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts