Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get a 2005 Bonneville on the road again but it needs an engine. The original engine was used for another motorcycle project, so I've been looking for a replacement -- re-manufactured or re-built or whatever, I can even rebuild it myself if it is in bad shape.

I was wondering what my best option would be. Find a salvaged bike and pull the engine out? Try to find a used engine? I'm assuming there's no direct factory replacements. I contacted a Triumph dealership here in California and they said I can't get a new engine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Keep your eyes peeled for a wreck. I'd put some calls into m/c shops, towing companies, or garages who are somewhat local and let them know you've got cash for the first casualty. It will take much sniffing around on your part.
You really can't buy a new replacement motor.
Use the phone, my friend!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You certainlly don't want to buy a new engine...would be outrageously expensive. Instead, you want to post Want to buy in the classified as a starting point. May take a while. Also, since you can obviously wrench and if a used motor, I would rebuild it with cams, head work and more compression to have one nice motorcycle when complete.
Also check salvage...cycle trader etc.
Good Luck,
George

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
There you are! You could have the only Bonneville with a 270 engine!

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Thats alittle high for a 04 .I got a 07 with 4000 miles for $1200. on ebay not long ago.The 270 motors seam to bring less money then the 360 motors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the all the suggestions guys.

I totally missed that engine on ebay, maybe I'll pick it up.

Just curious, but say money was no object. Is it possible to get a brand new Triumph engine (without buying the whole motorcycle)?
What if you damage your engine beyond repair and take it to an authorized dealer? Do they just say you're outta luck?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Could build one off BikeBandit! Just order this stuff, a few gaskets, seals, bearings and fasteners!

Starter $858
Stator $425
Rotor $749
Front Balance shaft $365
Rear Balance shaft $366
Cam cover $224
Intake Cam $319
Exhaust Cam $319
Clutch Assy $774
Crankcase kit $3704
Jugs $1465
Crank $891
Rods $310
Pistons $310
Cylinder head $1463
Clutch cover $330
Alt cover $140
Oil pump $206
Tranny....??

Just $13,218 and you're 2/3s there!

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
empty crank cases are $3500. a crank is $900. jugs are $1300. bare head is like $1400.I think you could buy another bike cheaper then a new motor lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I emailed triumph-ant.co.uk....maybe they can ship me an engine. I'm in the U.S. though (California), so it would probably be cheaper to keep searching locally.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts