Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry to start yet another chain-related thread, but I did a search of the forums and see lots of threads on the advantages/disadvantages of different gearing on the sprockets or endless versus riveted chains, etc. but don't see anything on simple replacement of the stock setup.

After having the 18K mile maintenance done on my Thrux the dealer's service tech told me that it's almost time to replace my chain due to wear.

I don't want to buy the OEM Triumph set because I would rather save some money by buying a D.I.D. or similar quality aftermarket X-ring chain and aftermarket sprocket.

Can someone here tell me what the stock tooth count is on both sprockets and confirm that it's a 525 chain? Also, if I buy a D.I.D. 525 chain, is there a certain link count I should be looking at or is there only one option on continuous (riveted) chains? Lastly, the D.I.D. website says the 525VM2 is only suggested up to 750cc bikes. Is it okay to run this on my 865cc bike or do I need to opt for their 525ZVM-X?

Sorry for so many questions in one post. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I'm sorry to start yet another chain-related thread, but I did a search of the forums and see lots of threads on the advantages/disadvantages of different gearing on the sprockets or endless versus riveted chains, etc. but don't see anything on simple replacement of the stock setup.

After having the 18K mile maintenance done on my Thrux the dealer's service tech told me that it's almost time to replace my chain due to wear.

I don't want to buy the OEM Triumph set because I would rather save some money by buying a D.I.D. or similar quality aftermarket X-ring chain and aftermarket sprocket.

Can someone here tell me what the stock tooth count is on both sprockets and confirm that it's a 525 chain? Also, if I buy a D.I.D. 525 chain, is there a certain link count I should be looking at or is there only one option on continuous (riveted) chains? Lastly, the D.I.D. website says the 525VM2 is only suggested up to 750cc bikes. Is it okay to run this on my 865cc bike or do I need to opt for their 525ZVM-X?

Sorry for so many questions in one post. Thanks in advance.
Do yourself a big favor and stick with the stock Triumph chain and sprocket kit. They're truly excellent and last a long time. Hermy's (great service) has the full kit for $200 (includes shipping) -- seriously, at that price, why go aftermarket and take the risk of an inferior product??? Hermy's order site will ask you to supply your VIN number to ensure that you're getting the exact match.

http://www.motorcyclestore.us/triumph/accessories/general/manuals/

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
after much research and advice from some of the esteemed members on this forum, I used a DID x ring chain complete with joining link and keeper. DID part number FIDID525VM112G. this chain has 112 links so you will need to cut it down to 104 links, according to the Triumph repair manual, and it also states 43/18 sprockets

I selected the above mentioned chain because I didnt want to go thru the hassle of getting a riveter tool. besides I have used joining links and keepers for years with no worries. they can be a bit fiddly to fit the keeper clip into the goove. the instructions are on the box.

count your links before you cut down the new chain!

according to the repair manual my bike is meant to have 102 links. it actually had 103 links

oh yes. it is a 525. when you buy the chain and sprockets check that they are correct. the bike shop gave me the correct chain and rear sprocket, but the front one was too fat. it was a 530 sprocket and I didnt noticed until trying to fit it. had to put the old sprocket back on until the shop bought in the correct one.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Do yourself a big favor and stick with the stock Triumph chain and sprocket kit. They're truly excellent and last a long time. Hermy's (great service) has the full kit for $200 (includes shipping) -- seriously, at that price, why go aftermarket and take the risk of an inferior product??? Hermy's order site will ask you to supply your VIN number to ensure that you're getting the exact match.

http://www.motorcyclestore.us/triumph/accessories/general/manuals/
thats a good estore oldguy.:)
just wished they shipped to Australia

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
My '04 T100 had a 525DID from the factory.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
... And the Triumph chain/sprocket kit I just put on came with the same DID chain ..

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I just ordered and installed a kit from Sprocket Center (www.sprocketcenter.com) - JT steel sprockets front and rear in the stock size, and a RK 525XSO X-Ring chain. I also bought the RK chain tool so I could do this again when the time comes.

Seems like a nice chain and setup and will be curious to see how many miles I get. That said, going with the RK setup was only about $25-30 less than buying the OEM kit from Hermy's. If I would've seen that link before I ordered, I would've gone that way.

Good luck!

Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts