Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have problems with my carbs that will be expensive to fix. I was offered a set of Kawasaki zx7r carburettors, Keihin CVK 38mm.
Has anybody used these on there TBS or heard of them being used.

They look to be the same as the Keihins fitted although slightly larger at 38 not 36 and yes i know there are 4 of them, but apart from that can anyone see any problems??

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
As long as you can get them to fit in the smaller rubbers the only real problem I can see is the spacing between the carbs. You might be lucky, if not then it would be a bit of fiddling to make "rails" to set them the correct distance apart.

Thanks for the info about which bike has Keihin CVKs, might be time for another project for mine ;).

EDIT: Hmm, just looked some up on ebay and it looks like they're angled carbs, and won't work :(. You need normal flat, or straight sitting carbs.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Probably not a great idea to change the choke size of the carbs anyway. The 36s were used on all the T3s, including the hotter cam variants. I suspect a bigger size would hamper the nice low/mid range torque we get.

Why not fit some Mikunis if the Keihins are getting scarce? They work pretty well on a stock bike, even a slightly better response, possibly at the expense of a little economy.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Why not fit some Mikunis if the Keihins are getting scarce? They work pretty well on a stock bike, even a slightly better response, possibly at the expense of a little economy.
Whoa there big boy - did I read that right or am I still hungover from drinking too much Guinness last night?

Mike the bike recommending Mikunis?

Sorry, but that calls for lots of cool smilies :Stir :poke :bitchfight :rockin

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Haha lol yeah, I was indeed suggesting Mikunis!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I looked at some 4 cylinder banks as replacements myself. Down draft sportbike carbs are not going to work out. Aside from the bowls being at an angle, the cable pull and the fuel delivery as going to be very difficult to re-engineer. That coming from me means it's not worth the headache, lol. If you want cheap replacements, look into some old mechanical round slides or flat slides. You'll spend a bit getting them jetted properly, but a much better alternative.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I managed to modify a set of Mikunis from a 4 cylinder sprint or trophy or whatever it was (forgotten now!) to fit my Adventurer.

It was a bit of messing about but it did work. Can't seem to find the thread I wrote on it either :(.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts