Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am looking to replace the battery on my '09 Bonnie. I find the stock battery to be very weak and just leaving the lights on for a 10 minutes will drain the battery enough to make cranking the engine impossible.

What is recommended for a replacement and hopefully an upgrade over stock?

Thanks,
Dani

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
You'll be able to get a battery that will fit into the space provided and has greater CCA's (cold cranking amps), but to be able to leave your lights on for a long periods there's no substitute for Ah (Amp hours). There's a limit to how many Amp hour capacity you can get into that space.

Best not to leave your lights on for so long.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah...
It was a stupid mistake but I didn't have a hill to pop the clutch... do you have any batteries that you would recommend?
Also do you know the stats for CCA's, ah on the stock battery?

Thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
Read a letter in RIDER magazine last night about replacing the battery after 4 years for "piece of mind" as they can go without notice after 4 years. My 07 T100 still has original battery after 4 1/2 years and 20K miles and still cranks fine. Am thinking about replacing with new one from WalMart... any reason why I shouldn't? I keep her on a battery tender when parked and she has never failed to crank. How long can the original last?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Read a letter in RIDER magazine last night about replacing the battery after 4 years for "piece of mind" as they can go without notice after 4 years. My 07 T100 still has original battery after 4 1/2 years and 20K miles and still cranks fine. Am thinking about replacing with new one from WalMart... any reason why I shouldn't? I keep her on a battery tender when parked and she has never failed to crank. How long can the original last?
I'm still on my original battery on my '06 Kymco P250. Cranks every time.
I don't baby my batteries by plugin them in :)

·
Registered
11,078 Posts
The battery will die suddenly, which seems to be how they work these days.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You are awesome Forchetto!

I spoke to the guy at BikeBatts and he recommended

He says it has 200 CCA and 14 ah

It seems to have positive reviews on amazon :)

Worthy Replacement???

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
You are awesome Forchetto!

I spoke to the guy at BikeBatts and he recommended
this

He says it has 200 CCA and 14 ah

It seems to have positive reviews on amazon :)

Worthy Replacement???
It won't fit on the EFI bikes. It's too wide at 3.43 inches (87mm). Looks a great battery and would be great for the carbed bikes though. They have more room in the battery box, whereas the EFI bikes have to share the same space with the ECU. Look for one that's just around 2.71 inches (69mm) wide.

I don't blame the guy at the shop for that error, many people in the trade don't know that, and even Yuasa has the wrong battery listed for the EFI twins.

Full specs here:

http://www.impactbattery.com/brands/motobatt/motobatt-mbtx12u-replaces-ytx14-bs-ytx14l-bs.html

They do make an equivalent for the EFI bikes YT12B-BS battery, but the specs are not much better than the Yuasa, apart from an extra 1Ah, might be worth trying:

http://www.impactbattery.com/brands/motobatt/motobatt-mbt12b4-replaces-yuasa-yt12b-bs-yt12b-4.html

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out.

how can you tell how many CCA's it has?
It's listed on the battery specs. For some reason they never print it on the casing along with the voltage and Ah rating.

CCA is defined as:

Cold cranking amperes (CCA) is the amount of current a battery can provide at 0 °F (−18 °C). The rating is defined as the current a lead-acid battery at that temperature can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12-volt battery). It is a more demanding test than those at higher temperatures.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Even the Yuasa web site says we have the YTX12-BS....
disappointing.
Yeah. To make things even more confusing in the near future I suspect that Triumph have enlarged the battery / Air box on the latest twins to be able to fit the previous, carbed bike larger battery, the YTX12-BS.

This must be to ease the many problems EFI bike owners are having with that YT12B-BS, frankly undersized battery.

The clue that this is what they could be doing is in the thread below. Unfortunately, like so many other threads it ended unresolved and no further data is available. All I wanted was an underseat photo of the latest EFI bikes, together with confirmation of battery type...:(

I know I'm wasting my time. People get their problems resolved and bugger off...Note that the OP only had to remove two screws and use his camera to be able to compare the underseat layout with the photo I provided in post 7, but no. Too much trouble.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/177490-k-and-n-doesnt-fit.html

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll try to get a pic of a new Bonnie when I go to the dealer next month or so.

And I wouldnt get that MotoBatt being that it has less CCA's then the Stock Battery, albeit 1 more ah

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
I'll try to get a pic of a new Bonnie when I go to the dealer next month or so.
Don't think they'd let you. It means finding a 5mm Allen key, unscrewing the seat bolts, etc. They might have a bike with the seat already removed, after all the battery is fitted by them just before delivery.

If you took a similar photo to the one I pointed out in that thread, we would be able to determine what changes have taken place to the component layout to be able to fit the larger battery.

If you could that would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Must be all the cutbacks in the British economy...

It could be a bit like the Ah rating. Different makers don't quote how this has been arrived at. The standard, reliable Ah rating ought to be reached using the C20 (20 hour rate) battery discharge test at a certain current and temperature.

Less ethical sellers might puff up their batteries by carrying out a different, easier test to obtain the same Ah rating, but that's not real.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I know it's not a Bonnie , but my 11 Thruxton has the YT12B-BS battery. Not sure how early in the model year it was made.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
That's what we thought all EFI twins had until the thread quoted below came along, concerning the inability to fit a well-known after-market filter in his airbox.

Member Gootz's bike was also a 2011 Thruxton, but on post 6 he tells us he has the larger carbed bike's battery, quote: "I just pulled the seat, it's a YTX12-BS"

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/177490-k-and-n-doesnt-fit.html

Looking through Gootz's posting history, it looks as if he bought his Thruxton in May 2011.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts