Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! It´s a shot in the dark but given the knowledgeable people in this forum I hope someone can shed some light on my problem!
So a few days ago I had the misfortune of someone stealing my ECU from my bike while it was parked in a garage! He was kind enough not to cut or strip or make a mess of my wiring loom. Got to see the bright side of things I guess. I was lucky enough and bought from a reputable website a donor ECU which matches the model of my bike so I took a gamble and purchased it. I assumed that given the age of the bike and the fact that it has no fancy electronic gadgets I thought it would work plug & play. Too good to be true. I installed it and unfortunately the bike does not start. Here goes the explanation:

1. Turn on the ignition key
- Head lights, rear light, tacho light, neutral and oil light turn on.
- ECM relay clicks
- No priming of the fuel pump
- no engine check light turns on
2. Pull the clutch in and press on the ignition
- nothing
3. Turn on and off the kill switch
- no priming of the fuel pump

To diagnose what was going on and to check if the replacement ECU is working I plugged it using the TuneEcu and analysed the diagnostics tab data and performed some tests. I am happy to find out that I can successfully connect to the ECU. Havingh connected it I am able to:
- read O2 sensor, temperature, barometric, fuel and voltage data
- See SAI, main relay are active
- when I hold the start button for a few seconds, the start switch indicator in TuneEcu appears as active
- when I pull the clutch the, I am able to see that it is active in TuneEcu
- Tests: i am able to run a fuel pump test and when I do so I hear the fuel pump working. I am also able to perform the tachometer test.
- I have performed the reset adaptation as I have flashed my previous ECU with the Triumph Twin power map as I have an 2-1 arrow exhaust and also removed the O2 sensor + SAI and upgraded my air filter. I was able to do it successfully.
- Error log: as expected I have the oxygen sensor header & SAI related errors due to the upgrade I performed. I have also cleared the errors but as expected, they still reappear.

All of the above suggests that the ECU is working as it is able to communicate with the different circuits of the motorcycle when running the tests. However my bike still didn´t start. Note that the bike started without issues prior to the ECU theft. As I was not successful I went on to do the following:
- Clutch actuator plugged in correctly and working according to TuneEcu indicator
- EMS relay tested according to Haynes manual
- All fuses are good
- recharged battery fully overnight

Yet still no success. For some reason the ignition cycle stops before the fuel pump priming... Several questions that come to mind are: what are the checks the bike performs during the ignition cycle and second, whether there is an incomptability between the original and replacement ECU (security, anti-tamper, etc). Hope someone can shed some light!

Oh, one thing that I find odd is that in TuneECU I see the engine check light on but no on the bike tacho it never turns on...

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
If your 2009 is the earlier version with a mechanical speedometer and the new ECU is for a later model with the electronic speedo then it won't work due to lack of CAN-BUS signal between speedo and ECU.

Try flashing or just reading the tune map as normal, and if it's not the right ECU you'll get a message saying that it's not compatible.

Don't know what model of bike you have, but for the SE: What part number do you see on the ECU label? if your bike is up to VIN number 436003 it should have ECU part number T1292106. Later models with electronic speedo have ECU T1290618.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI Forchetto!

Thanks for getting back to me. Quite a coincidence. Today I dug into the whole ECU map business and you are spot on! The mapping in the ECU (20660) belongs to an ECU with an LCD speedo. So I tried my luck by first trying to install the map that came with the Triumph twin power upgrade and I got a compatibility error. Not knowing whether the map was at fault , I downloaded from TuneEcu 2 other maps corresponding to the mechanical speedo and arrow setup. No luck again. Got the same compatibility issue message. Shoot!

In your opinion does this mean that there is no way to use an ECU for a lcd speedo on a bike that has a mechanical speedo given that I am not able to overwrite the map? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention, my bike´s VIN number is 397603 and the donor bike is 441181 which confirms what you said.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
In your opinion does this mean that there is no way to use an ECU for a lcd speedo on a bike that has a mechanical speedo given that I am not able to overwrite the map? Thanks in advance!
I haven't found a way to do it so far (and don't hold much hope of doing it either, not clever enough:().

I too bought a spare ECU in the hope of having one with the standard map in it for the purpose of passing the yearly Government inspections and another with a TTP map for normal running and enhanced performance, thereby avoiding messing about with TuneECU and laptops and also having a back-up spare unit at the same time.

There must be a way to provide the required CAN-BUS signal that the electronic speedo sends to the ECU, but I can't do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I haven't found a way to do it so far (and don't hold much hope of doing it either, not clever enough:().

I too bought a spare ECU in the hope of having one with the standard map in it for the purpose of passing the yearly Government inspections and another with a TTP map for normal running and enhanced performance, thereby avoiding messing about with TuneECU and laptops and also having a back-up spare unit at the same time.

There must be a way to provide the required CAN-BUS signal that the electronic speedo sends to the ECU, but I can't do it.
Sorry, pressed wrong button or something and quoted myself. Does anybody know how to delete an unwanted post? We could do it before this "new, improved" version of the forum...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the exact same problem having bought a spare ecu that I am fighting to return. Looking at the schematics I will try a jumper from the alarm connecter to the ecu relay to click in the ecu relay located under the seat in case you heard the wrong relay clicking . This will not happen in the near future though. The wiring schematic is for fuel injected. Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
EFI ECM's need to be correct for either mech odometer or LCD odometer models, they are not interchangeable, the ECM firmware won't allow it.
EFI ECM's need to be correct for either mech odometer or LCD odometer models, they are not interchangeable, the ECM firmware won't allow it.
Thankyou for your response ,I am 67 , have 4 motorcycles, 83BMW r100rs,2007 BMW f650gs that went to the Yukon,99flht,and getting to know the Triumph for distance riding and parts to carry, like the ecu. I like the quality of finish, the best I have seen, but all the electronics I hate. I serviced high speed Xerox laser printers and know my way around schematics , but hard to find someone that knows the answers like BMW dealers do in the USA. Thanks again, also ebay was able to get my money back. Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're extremely unlikely to ever need a spare ECM for an EFI model, they are a very reliable piece electronic magic. :)
Thankyou, Thinking about buying a spare new speedometer, mine is about 4mph off, and get one while still available. I notice motorcycle mfg. discontinue parts a lot more quicker now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Short update. As Forchetto and others mentioned, an Ecu for lcd odometer does not seem to be compatible for a bike with a mechanical odometer. When trying to flash it with a mechanical odometer map you get an error stating it’s incompatible.
I am therefore in the process of returning it. Thanks to the information I obtained from this forum I was able to make a clear case for return. I have in the mean time found an ecu for a mechanical odometer. I think I was lucky as I only found one after extensive research!
Big thanks Forchetto for your help. Fingers crossed the new ecu will not give me any headaches ?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thinking about buying a spare new speedometer
I converted my cable drive speedo to electronic (Acewell), best thing I ever did. Can dial it in using a GPS and adjust if you change tyre profile. Lots more information than the original and no cable!

All mech speedos are inaccurate, so I'd expect a replacement to be no better than what you have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts