Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a big fan of the driver footboards on Cmdr I bought a couple days ago. Much prefer pegs. Anyone figure out a way to replace boards with stock Triumph or Kuryakyn pegs and have toe of boot in traditional position relative to shifter & brake pedals? Brake side may be relatively easy, but mount for left side board also mounts shifter. If I have to keep footboards is there a way to adjust shifter pedal higher to fit size 13 1/2 boot toe under it? Yeah, I know Cmdr comes with heal & toe shifter but w/over 50 years riding don't see any use for it especially since boards put my boots at an odd angle. Don't get the whole footboard thing - not very ergonomic unless they were to pivot up/down at the midpoint. Capt. Rick

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I'm not a fan of the heel shifter and never understood the whole idea when it's so much more comfortable and natural to lift the toe. I took that off immediately.
However I'm a big fan off boards, great for long days in the saddle and I find I can get the bike sharper into turns before touching the board, verses dragging a heel.
If you've ever caught your boot heel on a road reflector/etc. you'll know that aint fun.

Yes you can adjust the toe shift to raise it for bigger boots Etc.

45 years in the saddle1.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not a fan of the heel shifter and never understood the whole idea when it's so much more comfortable and natural to lift the toe. I took that off immediately.
However I'm a big fan off boards, great for long days in the saddle and I find I can get the bike sharper into turns before touching the board, verses dragging a heel.
If you've ever caught your boot heel on a road reflector/etc. you'll know that aint fun.

Yes you can adjust the toe shift to raise it for bigger boots Etc.

45 years in the saddle1.
I'll probably just remove heel shifter, too. I'm sure the shift pedal adjust is simple, but had a look at it & can't figure out how to turn the rod connecting pedal to trans (if that's what I need to do) without marring chrome finish. Do you disconnect one end? Where can I get a service manual at reasonable cost for Cmdr? Doesn't appear to be a Hayne's out yet for the new model. I'll probably get used to the boards, but if someone knows how to replace them with pegs I'd go for that option. Capt. Rick

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Hey Rick, the shifter adjustment is a simple one. You have a shifter rod with a nut on each end, loosen those. One is reversed threaded, spin the rod in your fingers until the pedal raises to your liking. lock the nuts down and you are done.
To remove the heel shift you will need to slide the complete heel /toe shifter off remove the heel part and reassemble.
I purchased a longer toe shifter from " I think Kuryakyn" It's about 3/'4" or so longer.

For the service manual, No Haynes available I'm aware of. Do a Google search for the manual. There are a couple of free electronic downloads out there. Additionally there's a company that sells just manuals but for the life of me I cant recall the name, I bought one that covers the complete bird range for 2014. It's a Triumph OEM manual, there not cheap but it was much cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I assumed that they were lock nuts and shift rod was reverse threaded at one end, but it was hard to tell on such fine threads in the shadow under the bike. Didn't want to turn something the wrong way & bugger those fine threads. I'll have to pay whatever price for a service manual to help with this stuff. I also adjusted brake pedal which had too much free-play. And I went out & bought a #8 Allen wrench-type male hex socket to remove the shift pedal so I could take off the heel shifter which was just plain in-the-way. I couldn't get enough torque with my Allen wrench alone to bust loose the Locktite. Capt. Rick

·
Registered
17 Posts
A website called Service Shop Repair Manual sells the manual you are looking for. Very fast service and trustworthy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts