Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
68 Daytona with two small Amals. Is it worth the trouble and money (about$300) to replace them? The Kehien's are a little cheaper than Mikuni, but if I'm going to change, a few dollars either way is not an issue. If it is a significant improvement, I'll do it. If anyone has real world experience, let me know.

·
Registered
767 Posts
68 Daytona with two small Amals. Is it worth the trouble and money (about$300) to replace them? The Kehien's are a little cheaper than Mikuni, but if I'm going to change, a few dollars either way is not an issue. If it is a significant improvement, I'll do it. If anyone has real world experience, let me know.

Great question, havent dont anything like that so very interested in members opinions.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Is there something wrong with your existing carburetors? They can be rebuilt. And they do still make Amals, if your carburetors are beyond repair.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
What difference does it make? My '79 has MkIIs, whatever that means, I don't know. Is that a Mikuni?

Is one type of carb supposed to be better than another type? Why? Easier starting?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Those are Amal Mark 2 Concentrics and are what came on your bike.

I always come back to this when people talk about 'upgrading' to Mikuni carbs. I've said it a million times ... you could modify the frame to accept a Honda engine, but you probably wouldn't ...

Anyway, the Amal is SUPER simple, works well when not worn out and tuned properly, and require no modifications to bolt them right on. I just don't see where there is an advantage to Mikuni, Keihin, etc ... that's all ...

·
Registered
970 Posts
If you replace an amal with a mikini, you will probably lose a small amount of power, gain a little in mpg and very likley make cold starting more difficult.

This comparisom is for both types of carb to be correctly adjusted and fully functional.

I expect new mikunis to out perform 40 year old amals, conversely new amals will out perform 40 year old mikunis :) but I do not know if mikunis last 40 years.

·
Registered
162 Posts
different carbs

heh! Just had a discussion last night with an old Triumph rider. He loved his Mikuni conversion.

Basically what we came to was that old worn out and slightly plugged Amals are a pain in the butt.

Me personally? I'd rebuild the Amals because re adjusting them and tuning them is easier, lotsa info here and on the net to do that.

heres a good one with a few Amal concentric tricks.

BUSHMAN'S CARB TUNING SECRETS

http://www.jba.bc.ca/Bushmans Carb Tuning.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cleaned my Amals and put back together with new gaskets and O rings. They are as simple as a brick. A lot of info implied that Mikunis were the hot set-up, but didn't say specifically why they are better

·
Registered
312 Posts
I noticed that nobody addressed the Keihin option...of which I have heard good things, and the new Bonnies come with them too I believe (or did 'til 2009 EFI). Isn't Grandpaulz a JRC/PWK Keihin dealer?

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Why Not Sleeve the Amal's?

Another option I haven't heard mentioned is to re-sleeve the amals. On my old 76 Bonnie (which I no longer have) I had Lund Machine in WA put their stainless sleeves in the worn out amals. Made them better than new, stabilized the idle and the bores will outlast the bike. They are at www.amalsleeve.com Might be another option to consider.

·
Registered
767 Posts
What about this option:
Replace the worn out Amals with new Amals?
My guess is many people rave about the Mikunis and Kliens because theyve replace the worn out Amals.
Im guessing if you replaced them with new Amals you'd get much better performance too. Maybe not quite as much as Mikunis and Kliens, but close?

Plus, you stay British :D and easier to maintain.

I think I see where Im leaning here: put the old Amals in a ziplock bag and fit new Amals. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought my Daytona because it is "unmolested"---totally original with the single exception of Boyer Ign. To put Japanese carbs on such a beautiful British bike would just be wrong, --- like the guys who put small-block Chevys in old Jaguars. I'll stick with the Amals

·
Registered
643 Posts
I bought my Daytona because it is "unmolested"---totally original with the single exception of Boyer Ign. To put Japanese carbs on such a beautiful British bike would just be wrong, --- like the guys who put small-block Chevys in old Jaguars. I'll stick with the Amals
+1 to this sentiment. My Amals are 42 years old and maybe a bit tired, but they're part of the originality of this bike. My mechanic, who builds Triumph bobbers as a sideline, keeps telling me to put a single Mikuni on, but I just won't do that. The bike runs well and if it stops doing so because of the carbs, I'll send them out to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
348 Posts
if your dead set on keeping bike original than keep Amals but to replace or fix it will cost more than cheaper,new replacements(JAP)

most people figure in cost of replace of old ones(Amal) and lean to-wards cheaper new one,because cash is king

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kev England, where abouts in the UK are you from? My buddy from Kettering -near North Hamptonshire in the Midlands is coming over here to ride this summer. I've got a Suzuki V Strom DL-1000 I'm going to let him take on a long cycle tour of the good ole USA. He is an old road racer and trials rider and is real excited about only paying $2.00 for gas (petrol).

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'll be the heretic, I have a JRC/PWK on my 73 Tiger and like the set up. Mostly one kick cold starts and good performance. I like the enricher as opposed to ticklers. My only complaint is that if you leave the petcocks open after stopping it will overflow everytime.

·
Registered
312 Posts
"Anyone know how new Amals compare with Mikuni and Kehien?"

ok, well...might as well step into it. (btw...great bike that DL1000!) I have had Mikuni's and both read up and talked Keihin's with a lot of people including extensive discussions with Bill Getty at JRC. I don't think there is any question but that the JRC/PWK/Keihin is even simpler to setup than an Amal, a straight bolt on, and a superior carburetor,and a whole lot cheaper (I bought a pair including a dual choke cable/handlebar mount dealie for $300 including shipping...haven't installed them yet though, a little busy with finishing a house build). And of course that's what the new Bonnies come with. They have a great choke, they have a chrome flat slide, they last forever (just like my Mikuni did...I had it on a big Yamaha dirt bike, 400 cc trenchdigger...the carb was simply bulletproof and instantaneous response).

If you want original, then get original...I have no bone to pick with that, to each his own. But if you want to compare a modern carb design with a 30 year old carb design...don't be surprised if the new one kicks *ss. *grin*

Ok, that should endear me to the purists...what can I say? I'm a purist too...but also a realist.

regards,
John

PS $300 included everything under the sun...multiple jets, rubber mounts, the stiffer return spring option etc and came prejetted for my elevation (despite me wanting a variety of needle and main jets just cause I can't help myself *grin*)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Sometimes mikunis, in a high vibration environment such as a british bike, the needle will not seat correctly and will flood the engine. Not good. I'd stick with amals.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm not sure about the vibration thing being a problem since Keihin's and Mikuni's are the gold standard in racing motorcross cycles including the older high strung, super high vibration 2 strokes. Any carb can come from the factory with a non-seating float needle.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts