Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The writer of this little piece says that it's time to stick a fork in the chopper phenomenon, and offers written and photographic evidence. I'd go farther and say that this is just another sign that Armageddon and the Second Coming are right around the corner...

Proof that it's all over for the chopper craze

·
Registered
421 Posts
We can only hope...

Hey, though custom "choppers" are not my cup of tea, I do like when a job is well done. Now in my scope, this means theme based bikes are not included as I don't care how well it is put together, I don't like them. To add to the insult, many of these custom bikes are nothing but problems (Amer Chop - Jay Leno stranded due to electrical issue on Brough chopper - which Jay probably never liked to begin with) and looked to be slapped together.

Give me a well done bobber or well used rat bike over these any day of the week.

I'm going back to look at Tritons, Norvins, AJS and the like.

Funny story though, thanks DR.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I like the look of some choppers. But i'd never own one because for me handling is not only a huge part of motorcycling, but a huge factor in safely. Just MO.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Gimme good brakes, a VERY good suspension (to compensate for the geometry), understated style, ample power, high tech components, and a little bit-o-class (a tall order), then I could possibly sport a "chopper".

Victory's 8 Ball comes to mind.......

But those three cartoons pictured above need to crawl back into the comic book they from come.
:-D :hammer: :razz:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Cookie cutter choppers that all look alike are boring, there are however some very nice bikes out there being built.

Just dont catagorize them all into one lump...recognize the good along with the bad.

I was at a shop tonight that had several bigdog rides...roughly 30k each and they all looked very much alike aside from paint. 30k for a bike...not from me.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
well, here's my $0.02. Of course there are those who have been building bikes for themselves for decades, not for profit or fame, and the likes of these guys have built some of the coolest bikes out there. Form and function melded with style and class to produce one offs that are timeless.

Then you have the Johnny come lately wive the raid, wait ride the wave losers (OCC, etc) that will be gone soon enough, finally.

The guys that were already there will remain.

Look at the JOCKEY JOURNAL for the proof.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't know if its the next custom bike craze or not, but I'd really like some of the Cafe Racers that are being built in Cali. It appears that Airtech is making a lot of fiber glass products for older Triumphs, hondas, yamahas etc....

Hope that catches on, I have a thrux but I'd also like to have an older bike with the fiberglass race seat extended tank and clipons...

The ton-up and rockers scene is pretty coolllll!

·
Registered
219 Posts
A friend of mine recently bought a chopper for over $33,000 and sold it, at a GREAT loss, just one month later. He said it was the most uncomfortable piece of garbage he had ever ridden, and it wasn't worth keeping; he got a Ducati 999s to replace it, and wishes he had done that to begin with.

[ This message was edited by: Thruxton on 2006-12-15 06:50 ]

·
Registered
126 Posts
They're right here in the hood. I've got time next week to stop by if anybody is interested and has questions they want me to ask. I'd be happy to find a cheap excuse to zip over there. Not quite my style, It took me a while to get used to the difference in the bars from my 78 to my 01. Sitting on a chopper I feel like Yosemity Sam. Not pretty. Anyway let me know.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On 2006-12-15 06:03, Thruxton wrote:
A friend of mine recently bought a chopper for over $33,000 and sold it, at a GREAT loss, just one month later. He said it was the most uncomfortable piece of garbage he had ever ridden,
Sounds like that bike was a big dog. I mean, a Big Dog...if he went from that to a 999s all I can wonder is what his priorities are, and who's advising his purchases.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Went to Hooters for lunch the oter hday and they had a chopper in the dining room - a "Red Dog" or something like that-it was only $29,000 !! Wow , I would buy 3 Triumphs for that! What apiece of lemming junk. Just like all the other ones. Why do they bother?
Unrideable , no brakes, killer vibration. ill handling, unreliable for the most part and not for me. Love my Triumphs.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Went to Hooters for lunch the other day and they had a chopper in the dining room - a "Red Dog" or something like that-it was only $29,000 !! Wow , I would buy 3 Triumphs for that! What apiece of lemming junk. Just like all the other ones. Why do they bother?
Unrideable , no brakes, killer vibration, ill handling, unreliable for the most part and not for me. Love my Triumphs.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I love bike art, always have. I was building chops when OCC was still a metal foundry. The bigdog and other HD clones are making $ from the current re-popularity of choppers. I still make customs for the fun and enjoyment, not to mention the release of creative energy it gives me. The fun is in building on a budget and not compromizing safety while making something unique. Anyone can throw dough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.