Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following an...incident...on my '05 Speedie, one of the lock-stops on the lower triple has sheared off.

I'm unwilling to pony up for a brand-new replacement at dealership prices, and I'm looking at getting it repaired, possibly by creating a new lock-stop by building up welding material, or alternatively welding on e.g. a nut or something similar.

So, before I dive in, some research.

Firstly: Has anyone done anything similar? If so, how did you do it?

Secondly
: What material is the lower triple made of? Is it a common-or-garden steel (i.e. easy to weld), or is it an alloy (hard to weld)?

Thirdly
: Has anyone got any hints/tips/other advice?

·
Registered
369 Posts
What is the lock stop your talking about? Do you mean fork stop? IT sounds like your talking about a piece casted into the frame or on the fork tree. No sure what your are talking about. I would like to try to offer a solution.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the lock stop your talking about? Do you mean fork stop? IT sounds like your talking about a piece casted into the frame or on the fork tree. No sure what your are talking about. I would like to try to offer a solution.
There are two lugs on the top surface of the lower triple, each side of the steering stem. When the bars/forks are turned left/right, they hit the frame at the end of the movement/travel of the bars, and stop the bars/forks turning any further. They are intended to stop a riders hand(s) being trapped between the tank and the bar in case of an off.

They are cast into the lower triple. My problem is that one of them has sheared off following an impact. I'd like to repair this rather than replace the whole lower triple.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you're dumped it hard enough to break off steering stops.

Have the frame checked for being straight and for possible fractures.

Also use a different triple clamp.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts

Secondly
: What material is the lower triple made of? Is it a common-or-garden steel (i.e. easy to weld), or is it an alloy (hard to weld)?
It is aluminium alloy (don't know the exact alloy). As it is powdercoated, I would think twice on re-using it. Powdercoat does well on hiding hairline fractures and by the sound of it the clamp has taken quite a hit.

Maybe check eBay and http://www.triumph-ant.co.uk/ for a second hand clamp?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I see that the lugs on the lower tree. Best bet is to get a non-damaged one. I suggest you keep an eye out on e-bay. There are a few people parting out 06's right now but I don't recall if one is for bid. My "mavrick" fix would be to grind the surface where it broke off flat and then drill and tap a hole for a properly stout enough bolt with a steel spacer around it to make contact to the frame. If the sheer is at the frame that is a greater safety concern in regard fracture and stuctral intregrity.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think twice on re-using it. Powdercoat does well on hiding hairline fractures and by the sound of it the clamp has taken quite a hit.
If you're dumped it hard enough to break off steering stops, have the frame checked for being straight and for possible fractures. Also use a different triple clamp.
Yeah, it is a worry. I thought I'd got away with just a snapped clutch lever and broken brake fluid reservoir at first.

Due to the nature of the crash, I'm hoping it'll be alright. I went down on the left-hand side, and the bike slid on the crash bungs to the edge of the track. When it reached the kitty litter, it flipped once onto it's RH side. As it did so, the RH handlebar came across hard, smacking the steering stop into the frame/headstock. And that's what caused it to shear off.

The bikes in the dealership getting a full checkover. However, the handlebars aren't bent, the tank isnt dented, the forks don't appear to be bent, and there's no other visible damage except to the sliders.

So with a bit of luck....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Kitty Litter!!! fantastic stuff for flipping bikes!
But does stop it, after a few stumbles........eventually.

If you watch it,
You just see the dollars adding up.

As for he lower triple clamp.
Just get a second hand one.
Might be 05 to 07 the same?
Check out the part no on Bikebandit

How much is the frame stop dented?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
As for he lower triple clamp.
Just get a second hand one.
Might be 05 to 07 the same?
08 onwards should still be the same on measurements. The powdercoat is just machined clean around the bolt holes 08 onwards. pre 08 outside is powdercoated all over.

95% sure a bottom clamp from any 1050 Speed Triple will fit OK. 100% sure on top clamp as I just installed 2005 clamp on 2009 bike.

·
Registered
69 Posts
scrubed off steering stop? I don't need no stinkin stop..

I dumped my 04 and it pretty much smeared off the nub protruding from the frame. my aftermarket bars don't touch the tank, and as most of the riding I do is on the street I actually appreciate the new found steering lock for u turns (thinking of grinding off the other side as well.) there does not seem to be any damage done to the frame, or triples, hosed the left fork though. that was 30000 miles ago no strange handling. my advice is to ignore it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you really want the frame checked out, do a Google on Computrack. They are all around the US and do frame adjustment, mods and setup. Glad you were not seriously injured.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts