Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first post in this forum so please go easy on me ;)

So I got my motorcycle license last week and after a few shots, I started looking for a new bike. I ended up buying a Triumph Speed twin 2019 model with 7300 miles from Copart.

It was a salvage and classified as CAT-N in the UK. From the pictures, the bike looked in a decent shape. here are some of the Pictures of the bike.

I'm not a mechanic and consider myself to have decent DIY skills. so this is my journey to bring this bike back onto the road in a driving condition.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice! Does it run and ride okay? It looks like it has the upgraded vance and hines pipes which is nice. Personally I'd lose the tail trunk. Let us know what you find as you ride and work on the bike.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
The bike looks really nice, except for that top box. I know it's just me, but I can't get used to the look of a top box sitting way up there on a raised extended fender. To my eye, it looks wrong. But, what do I know? I'm just an old curmudgeon who's way past his expiry date. 😦

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are some more pics of the bike when it just arrived.

There was only one key with bike and that was bent. The original pics on the auction showed the bike turned on but somewhere between the auction and bike being delivered by copart it got bent out of shape.

I called the local triumph dealership and its nearly £60 for a pair of blanks and will need to be cut and coded to the bike.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice! Does it run and ride okay? It looks like it has the upgraded vance and hines pipes which is nice. Personally I'd lose the tail trunk. Let us know what you find as you ride and work on the bike.
So I called the dealer who's name was on the key ring with the key. Turns out it was a demo bike with almost every single option ticked from the triumph catalogue

Finally some good news

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you use that key your bike will just go in circles. Best to get a straight one.

Looks like you found a unicorn of a steal! Congrats on the new bike.
So I had some more Dutch courage and tried to straightener the key a couple of days later.

I heated the key up on the gas to make a bit nimble and then used the pliers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The next day I tried to turn the bike On but the freaking battery was dead. Being newbie I didn't had a battery charger so ordered a cheap one from amazon. It wouldn't even detect the battery so I thought the charger was faulty.

So I researched online to find a new battery and came across Nocco Genius 5. This thing can apparently repair dead batteries.

So I ordered one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The next day I put the battery back in the bike but it was just making a clicking sound and wouldn't turn the engine over.

Now I'm thinking I hope the engine is not seized or anything. Back to the Internet to se what might be issue here. In one of the forums i found an article saying that my issue might be due to the battery not charged properly.

So I started looking for a new battery and found lithium Ian batteries are the best, so I ordered the Nocco Lithium battery.

It looks very smart and is about 20%of the weight if the old one.

I put it on charge and it was fully charged within 40 minutes

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No with the new battery in the bike it was time have a mother go.

I turned the key and the bike just turned off no lights or anything the bike was completely dead

Now I'm thinking *** have I done. The negative terminal was really hot and I could smell something burning. I disconnected the battery straight away and started praying.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put the old battery on charge for 24 hours and tried again the bike.

The bike was alive what a relief atleast I haven't burnt anything.

But the same old issue with the clicking sound and bike won't start so I booked it for diagnostic check with the local triumph dealership.

But I don't have a trailer, now how the heck I'm going to get it to them.

I found lovely guy Called Jez from comebackbikes.com and he had a free slot the same day.

The first thing the mechanics at dealership noticed was that handle/steering lock was broken

They can't can't look at the bike till next week now so I have to wait till Wednesday to see what's the issue with the bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From those pics it looks fine, is there any damage? Was it stolen and dumped in a ditch? Why the salvage title?
It wasnt marked as stolen but I found out today the steering lock is broken so maybe it was.

Copart didn't list any damage on it and I haven't found any other visible damage on it yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So finally I manage to get the mechanics at the dealership have a look at my bike and do a diagnostics on it.

I paid for an hour and they managed to he the bike on the ramp n look into the engine by taking one of the plugs out and putting the camera in to see what's going on.

Seems like the engine is seized good and proper. So they stopes at that and didn't do anything else.

So now I'm trying to find out what the costs are for a rebuild or shall I go down the route on engine swap .

Used engines are around £2500.

I've tried a number of garages in the Midlands area and they want on average £300 to just take engine out and diagnose the issue. Then approx £800 labour plus whatever the parts cost on top . So I'm £1300-£1500 deep in both cases.

What do you guys think I do?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would ask whether you feel up to rebuilding the engine yourself? Depending on the nature of the seized engine, you might get by with a rebuild kit and a few hundred bucks at a machine shop, or you may find the crankcase damaged to the point of needing replaced. If you are patient and tenacious, you may find a wrecked bike to provide a donor engine. I would think any Triumph 1200 would do.

·
Registered
72 Posts
thanks for the post. I have a 2020 in the same color scheme, so your post caught my attention.
Have zero factual info on costs.....I think it would be super cool to rebuild your engine. In the end, it may cost more....but you can do all sorts of trick stuff to improve power and reliability.

These are less fun the garage than on the street though.....so, understand your desire to get it moving.

Please keep posting - great topic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts