Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the reason for posting this is to find out if there are any snags I need to know about repainting the bike. Also, I've got the main idea on what I want the bike to look like in the end and I'm currently revising the original graphics, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or photos of custom TT's. Thanks for your help. And does anyone know of good TT stock and aftermarket places other than eBay US/Europe?

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
There are some threads with custom painted bikes in the technical thread sticky HERE under the 'universal' sub. My dragbike thread in my signature has pictures too.

As for anything you should know about the actual painting, be sure to sand all of the old decals off. The factory base-coated the bodywork, put on the sticker decals, and then cleared over them (all except the large TT’s.) The easiest way is to sand the clear down and peel the decals off, then feather the sharp clear edge. Beside the proper paint prep (I'm assuming you know how to do all of this) be sure to paint the lower part of the fuel tank at the seam and up underneath it, as even though one wouldn't think these parts are seen, they are. I recommend shooting about three coats of clear on the fuel tank to protect from fuel spill damage and to give plenty of material to cut and buff down the line when the tank gets scratched. Other than those, there is really nothing different from painting anything else.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yep, had to sand off all the decals and then apply and feather a thin coat of filler to make
all the edges nice a smooth:

Definitely paint the bottom of the tank. If I could do it again, I would paint the inside of the cockpit too. It's not terrible but I look at the unpainted plastic every second I'm on the bike.
I also painted the small panels that cover the air intake tubes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have started working on the paint job. Thanks Vankaye for the advice. I've got the decals off now and have already sanded it all down, layed the sealer, black base coat, and 5 clear cloats. It looks slick!!!! Also, I'm adding reflective black Triumph logos to the rear fairings and clear coating over them as well. Today, I have started wet sanding the clear coat with 1000 grit, tomorrow with 1500, then the next will be 2000 grit. Followed by buffing it all. I'll start adding pictures tomorrow of the process.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have done the tail pieces already. I had the hardest time with those too. The pix are bad I know..thier from my phone but I've got the finished product on my camera in HD. The grey is the sealer and the black is the base with no clear coats.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here are three more and two of what the bike used to look like. I should have the bike finished by sunday. And if not I'll let you know!

·
Registered
440 Posts
You have no idea how much I'd have paid for that mint tail section. Hell could have traded you mismatching color good condition pieces + money if nothing else. Whereabouts are you? I was thinking of getting my plastics painted too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish you'd got'n a hold of me before I had started. I Would have gladly met with you to give you those. Sorry man!

I'm located in Knoxville,TN.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:DI will post pix soon of the final product and the final assembly this weekend.:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ran into a snag. I found a few specs of dirt so now the final assembly has been postponed till further notice! :mad:D#$%:mad:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still buffing

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:DI've started putting the bike together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I'll update the pix when I'm finished.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here she is

Sorry it took so long...I've be out riding since it has been done.....These pictures are from the Dragon (US129)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
More pictures of the TT on the Dragon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts