Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone's mounted a Givi or similar hard case to a Renntec rack, and if so, which one did you use?

I hate the way trunks look on classic bikes but what I hate even worse is not having any storage on the bike! Since it's a scram I can't even use throw-over saddlebags so it looks like a trunk is the best way to go.

Any advice/pics would be appreciated!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Just wondering if anyone's mounted a Givi or similar hard case to a Renntec rack, and if so, which one did you use?

I hate the way trunks look on classic bikes but what I hate even worse is not having any storage on the bike! Since it's a scram I can't even use throw-over saddlebags so it looks like a trunk is the best way to go.

Any advice/pics would be appreciated!
No Renntec rack but here goes:Only for holiday trips - meet fatbottom Bonnie:

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
I'm about to. I just fitted the renntech. For my trip to the TT I'm fixing a givi plate and box. Got to put the beer somewhere;)

Will look horrible but I can stash my stuff lock it and walk away relatively worry free. Then when I get home it'll go under the stairs till the next tour.

Just go for it.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Sorta like this......?

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/... Out West/?action=view&current=IMG_6541-1.jpg

2003 T100 with Renntec rack and Givi E21 bags. Bags are not attached to the Renntec, but to a custom made backing plate that I cobbled up and attached to the Triumph thingies that kept Troumph soft bags from sagging into the rear wheel. Nothing to keep you from making some sort of mounting plate that attaches directly to the Renntec rack, and using the Givi mounting hardware to easily attach and detach the bags.

The arrangement in this photo included a Renntec to carry my tent, sleeping bag, and air mattress and a few other items. I didn't think the Renntecs looked all that bad on my bike, since I tried to get them aligned so they went with the general 'flow' of the bike. Hey, it was only for the trip out West in 2006, anyway!

Bob

EDIT - ooops! Sorry. I reread your post and see where you're riding a Scram, and are asking about a top box, not hard bags.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
No Renntec rack but here goes:Only for holiday trips - meet fatbottom Bonnie:
Since I can't find any Givi pannier frames for a Bonnie I assume that these are mounted on frames you made yourself. Do you have any photos of the frames alone?

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
I've been looking at a Givi topcase as well, but I'm not sure which plate to order with it. Any help appreciated!
Depends which case system you go for. Theres two types. monolock and Monokey. get the plate specific to the case.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Depends which case system you go for. Theres two types. monolock and Monokey. get the plate specific to the case.
With the Wingrack no (adapter) plate is needed.
Fitting kit is not available for Bonnevilles...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Martin

I believe that all Givi cases come with a universal plate. At least the one I bought did. I fitted this to my Renntec rack quite successfully and it worked fine. I just didn't like how it looked. Not the case on the bike itself (mine was a small [35L?] single helmet one) but the fact that the rack is so much wider, it just looked out of balance. Purely subjective of course. It mau not offend your eye as it did mine.

The plate fits to the rack with bolts and sort of cup washers that grip the tubes of the rack.

HTH

·
Registered
489 Posts
Norman Hyde products are amongst the best stuff on the market but my wife wants ALL THIS along on a holiday. Had to make up überstrong gear...:D

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave: Very nice setup. I decided to go cheap and got the JC Whitney case which appears to be a cheap copy of the Givi. I'll take a look at it and if it doesn't look sturdy enough I'll send it back but I don't plan on running a case except when I'm on a long ride.

Looks like you are using a Triumph Number Plate as a kind of saddebag guard? How is that working out? Does it keep your saddlebags from getting burned or damaged on the pipe?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Looks like you are using a Triumph Number Plate as a kind of saddebag guard? How is that working out? Does it keep your saddlebags from getting burned or damaged on the pipe?
The number plate kit seems to be the easiest way to manage soft bags on the Scrambler. The right side gives plenty of clearance from the mufflers, the left side keeps the bag out of the wheel.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Greyplague- A bit off topic, I was wondering what brand/model windshield that is on your bike. It's just about the size that I've been looking for to put on my SE. Nice looking bike BTW.

Russ

·
Registered
6 Posts
givi on a rentec

I just ordered a givi 250 adapter plate to put on the rentec . Givi does make a panioer rack for the bonny. Proprietary through Norman Hyde. I ordered one and had it in 4 days . With the VAT and shipping I think it was around 225 US . See pics with givi 21s. in tread "Like an old friend"

1 - 20 of 39 Posts