Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R 2016 Thruxton R
2,097 Posts
I bet they don't require any map at all... According to my dealer, there is no additional maps for slip-on exhaust when they KEEP the cat. Makes perfect sense, as that's where the initial sound dampening and back pressure begin.

Ok... NOW.... Wow... What a PERFECT SOUND!!!!

And FINALLY!!! It's an ACTUAL Proper exhaust video with the bike ACTUALLY under acceleration, so one can hear how the bike actually sounds under load! (Wow... What a genius!!)

For once, it's not some stupid video, of some turd burglar, 'sneaking up' on his own bike, then turning the key, listen to the fuel pump, then he/she farts around his bike, as if no one has seen it a trillion times... Then after 4 years... He finally starts it lets it idle (wow, amazing)... Then jams his iPhone as far down into the pipe as possible, while he bounces the engine off the rev limiter... All while in a closed garage echo chamber....

... And no one knows what it sounds like, cause everyone just heard a muffled Somalian gang-war, at best.

Yes, I typed the word actually a lot just now.

This post was brought to you, in part, by... Actually.

Ps... It looks like they are offering this exhaust in black as well! I ACTUALLY can't wait to see what they offer for the Thruxton... Thanks for this post!

Reactions: Cristobal

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Question, I measured my bags vs where the video shows the pipe placement. Looks like I have a couple of inches between the bottom of the bag and the exhaust ends. Is there any issue with the exhaust blowing up at the bags?

·
Banned
451 Posts
Looks and sounds great! Wonder if it'll require a remap
No remap needed there, as Cuffsalot said, just silencers and no de-cat.
They are offering exactly the same as Triumph and V&H, Off road and EU silencers and more expensive. Nothing really to see here..

De-cat and silencers and a tune are needed, not some half way fix IMO.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Question, I measured my bags vs where the video shows the pipe placement. Looks like I have a couple of inches between the bottom of the bag and the exhaust ends. Is there any issue with the exhaust blowing up at the bags?
Bottom of the bags may get a bit grubby and warm but as long as they don't contact don't see a major issue. Should dissipate the heat. Might affect a rain cover if it's plastic.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
excellent point on the rain bags, thanks.

I like these quite a bit from the looks, and the sound is spectacular. I'm curious pon the cost. I'm still going to wait regardless. These are the units I envisioned since I first even saw the T120 though:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Thanks, I hadn't seen that. That's a bit rich. It brings up a question.

Are there enough T-120 owners who'll spend the money?

My perception is that with the prior gen Bonnies, there was a large number of owner looking for more power any way they could get it.

Now Triumph gives us a Bonnie that right out of the box hauls legitimate ass. So I wonder if there is that sense of urgency to squeeze more power.

For me, it's 1- about the look and 2- the sound, being perfectly honest. My Bonnie has all the power I need as it is bone stock.

·
Banned
451 Posts
Thanks, I hadn't seen that. That's a bit rich. It brings up a question.

Are there enough T-120 owners who'll spend the money?

My perception is that with the prior gen Bonnies, there was a large number of owner looking for more power any way they could get it.

Now Triumph gives us a Bonnie that right out of the box hauls legitimate ass. So I wonder if there is that sense of urgency to squeeze more power.

For me, it's 1- about the look and 2- the sound, being perfectly honest. My Bonnie has all the power I need as it is bone stock.
To be honest I don't see it as just a power thing as such.
The engine is strangled to a degree because of the emissions, so its not just looking for more power, it's about letting the engine do what it was designed to do before it was strangled by bureaucracy.

If you want to make the bike sound better then you are obviously going to have to spend e fairly large amount of money to do that. You may as well do it in a way that gives you what's locked up in the motor by spending a bit more on a complete de-cat exhaust system. It is mainly the cat and tune that are the restrictive things here...

I'll be waiting until their are one or two de-cat systems before I make a decision.
For now I'm looking for a damaged Thruxton silencer to take apart and figure out a way to remove what's in there to see what sort of difference it makes to the sound....

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R 2016 Thruxton R
2,097 Posts
Couldn't agree more... I just want to open the sound of my bike up. These sound great for stock... And that's great because it gives me time to sit back and wait to see who comes out with what.

This Remus Slip-On system, to me, has the PERFECT amount of loud noise, while also not being to raspy (or 'snappy' sounding), while also not being too deep of a Ducati sound... I really like it.

However, I would have to see what the style looks like as well, when they make the Thruxton. Hopefully is sounds very similar to the T-120 system. (I know the engine internals are a little different, so I have to wait.) And it's a BIG plus they offer a black option.

SC Project make a GREAT looking slip on system for the Street Twin. I recommend checking It out. I called them, and they ARE making T-120 & Thruxton systems, soon... I like the look slightly better than the Remus, but I doubt they will sound that perfect.

So, I'm still going to wait to pull the trigger on anything, obviously.

Lastly, I would take the Remus system over the V&H off road system due to the awesome sound, they are also roughly $60 cheaper.

Reactions: gabbydad

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
No remap needed there, as Cuffsalot said, just silencers and no de-cat.
They are offering exactly the same as Triumph and V&H, Off road and EU silencers and more expensive. Nothing really to see here..

De-cat and silencers and a tune are needed, not some half way fix IMO.
Agreed, I rather spend a little more for a full 2 -1 tracker style or under belly system or similar set up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
but the sound

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Anyone know more about the Zard exhaust. I love this style for the ST.

I am guessing it is a slip on that keeps the CAT but I don't see how given that it attaches so far up without some modification. Not much info on the site, guess I will need to contact them. I don't even know if they ship here.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts