Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Looking for some advice please. I am going to be fitting crash bungs to my Sprint ST1050 - 2007 and see that it will involve removing the top engine mounting bolt and replacing with the rod the bung attaches too.

I have established this requires a T55 Torx socket. Before I go removing this I wondered if anyone out there has any tips or advice for me or is it a straight forward job ?

Thanks

steve

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Do them one side at a time.
Do not loosen both sides at the same time.
Use a torque wrench.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
If you are reasonably competent, and have the proper tools, it should not be a major project.

The complexity of the installation can vary depending on which brand you are installing. Follow the instructions; stop and ask if you are not certain about a particular step. Regardless of what the marketing types may hype, it will go much easier if you remove the fairings.

Use a torque wrench.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I put GSG frame sliders on mine a few weeks ago. Did one side at a time, left the fairings on. It took under 30 minutes taking my sweet time. The inside nut is a bit hard to reach. If I remember correctly, a stubby combination wrench was used.

When working on my bikes, I have a small, wheeled mechanic's stool with a built-in tray for tools & parts which puts the work at eye level and is very comfortable. Have youself a seat and enjoy working on your machine.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I also installed mine (LSL) with the fairings on, but there have been posts from members who have had difficulties. I guess I should have suggested trying it with them on, then remove them if necessary.

I'm getting ready to pull mine for a weekend, so I will learn if removal presents any difference re the fairings.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
... The inside nut is a bit hard to reach. If I remember correctly, a stubby combination wrench was used.....
I put LSL sliders on my '06 ST with the fairings on. The proximity of the radiator was a concern for me on the 2 inside bolt heads, because one slip and things could get expensive in a hurry. So I used a 16" socket extension (10" and 6") and socket and came in from the other side. Had my son hold one wrench on one side while I was on the other, both for breaking them loose and for torquing them down.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
My dad and I took the fairings off to install LSLs on my bike but we also used the coming through from the other side method. It is very easy if you have a helping hand or two.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I just used the triumph wrench on the back nut when I did my LSL install. You do NEED a torque wrench though. I took my fairings off so I did not break off the chrome accents. Being that they are 50.00 each, that was not a chance I wanted to take.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts