Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Interesting. Today I popped the cam cover off to do the 12K mile valve clearance check and was greeted with a sheared off right side decompression mechanism. No idea how long it's been like this since it's the first time the cam cover has been off. Haven't had any trouble starting and no unusual engine noises. I'm trying to decide whether to have the camshaft replaced (trying to get Triumph to pay for it) or just leave it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wow!

I'd leave it off mate. I wouldn't go the extra expense to buy new cams etc when you'll have less problems without it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
876 Posts
I wonder how many T birds are like that without the owners realising. I’m pretty sure I heard one go at one time. Guy was starting it and there was a louder than usual crack/thump, but the bike started and ran fine. We looked at each other and shrugged. It was many months later when he was in for valve clearances that the break was noticed.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Wow!
I'd leave it off mate. I wouldn't go the extra expense to buy new cams etc when you'll have less problems without it.
Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
I debated with myself just that for a couple of days but decided to give Triumph a chance to make it right. If it happened again, after that, then I'd leave it off. Seems to be more common with the earlier model years. I spoke with the Service Manager where I bought the Tbird; he said they've done plenty of valve clearance checks and adjustments but have never seen one where the decompressor was sheared off of the camshaft and knew of no service bulletins from Triumph about it. And while I've read of a handful of cases here and other forums (and more than one is still too many), it's a pretty small sample compared to all the TBirds sold.

Still, I'd recommend to anyone who has put off the valve clearance service (every 12K miles), to get it done.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Anxious to hear what Triumph will do......think it's time to order the gasket and take a peak under the valve cover....good advice!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Finally heard back from Triumph today and despite the dealer putting in a "good will" warranty claim for a clearly defective camshaft, Triumph denied it. Said the bike was too far out of warranty (it's a 2013). I've sent an appeal, with photos, directly to Triumph USA.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Triumph should take care of that regardless.....that is just wrong and jeopardizes my faith in them once again. HD would never pull a stunt like that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hope you do hear back from them, but I wouldn't depend on it.
When my local dealer opened up my 2013 T-Bird (with less than 9,000km) and found the exhaust decompression cam broken, they sent Triumph UK a claim for a clearly defective item, but Triumph denied it stating it could have been broken for many reasons including misuse! The dealer themselves were shocked as this was the first case they experienced here in Qatar.
When I tried contacting Triumph UK directly, they told me to contact my local dealer.
No free replacements or any type of compensation from UK. My local dealer did make a generous discount and cut down in labor costs as well as doing the 12,000 km service for free since the engine was already open (out of good will).

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm not getting any response from their "24/7" Customer Support address, just an automated "Case Number". After a few days of no response, I contacted them again with the Case Number in the subject line and the body of the text and they sent me another Case Number (to follow up on the Case Number)!

I'll try calling them tomorrow. If nothing by Tuesday, I'll tell the dealer to just button it up and get it back in service. I love this bike but this puts me off buying another new Triumph. I'm not going to bother with a new camshaft with another decompression mechanism I have to worry about; bike runs great and starts easy. But I am going to file a complaint with the NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration) https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ . If enough people who have had this problem report it, it could launch an investigation which could result in a recall. Triumph isn't showing enough concern for this problem (or its customers).

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this but I am not surprised. Triumph has washed their hands of the big bird line up.
Believe me there have been many attempts to have Triumph address the Clacking noise on the Tbirds.
Letters have been written, signed by several owners, videos attached, repair tickets attached sent all the way to Bloor's desk and read.

Only to receive " were sorry blah, blah, blah we are not aware of any issues"

·
Registered
409 Posts
Got through by phone and got the same story, "too far out of warranty" and "we have no history of issues with that part". Promised he'd plead my case to the "Warranty Board" the next day and call me back. Didn't call me back; I called at the end of the day and was a repeat of the day before.

We can make sure Triumph gets a history of problems with this part by submitting a vehicle safety complaint with the NHTSA. It's super-easy, takes like 10 minutes and it's all online; you can even attach photos. I'd appreciate anyone who has had a failure of the exhaust decompression mechanism to take a few minutes and submit a report here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint

There could be a sizable number of these still undiscovered in TBirds just waiting for a metal fragment to bounce into contact with a cam lobe or get caught in the cam chain while someone's doing highway speeds or leaning over in a turn. If enough reports are submitted, the NHTSA will investigate and could result in a recall.

Dealer's already buttoned everything back up and test-driven. Picking it up Saturday. :ride

·
Registered
664 Posts
Going forward it would appear machining off that part of the decomp cam is the fix!! Ugly way to find this out while we watch the egg dripping off Triumphs face. My understanding is the casting is sourced out to another European country and machined in Hinkley. No doubt in my mind that is a casting failure/one out of spec.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts