Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some tar stuck on a silencer - what's a good way to get it off w/o marring the surface?

·
Registered
733 Posts
A guy I used to know

used a product he called "Supercool". I'm pretty sure that isn't the name for it, but it came in a small aerosal can and its primary use was for super-cooling electronic components for testing. He said that a bad transistor would function properly when chilled, then go out of spec when it warmed back up. Anyway, he got a glob of tar on his Suzuki exhaust and when the bike was cooled off the next morning, he frosted it with the spray can and gave it a little bump with a plastic putty knife and it came right off.
I thought it looked like Freon and he said you can buy it at electronic supply stores.
I've never personally tried it, but my brother uses it for shrinking valve guides before installation in cylinder heads. He says it's faster than leaving them in the freezer overnight.
I've tried solvents, but it seemed to always leave a smear and require lots of patience. Fortunately, I haven't got anything on my (new to me) TORS as of yet.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I use kerosine (paraffin) and a clean soft cotton cloth. Wet the affected area and let 'soak in'. Then some light and gentle rubbing and it will dissolve away. A simple and effective solution. A dirty cloth and very hard rubbing will result in swirls and fine scratches.
Cheers, Simmo

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
Paint thinner will work the same as kerosene.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Either duct tape or WD40..... probably WD 40 for this situation!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts