Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not going to try removing the rear reflectors on my US spec T120 until after the bike's first state inspection, but I've been giving it some thought.

Just poking around under the license plate holder with a flashlight, it looks like the three rear reflectors are mounted to their own bracket, which just snaps on to the under side of the license holder. Is this the case? Is removing those reflectors going to be that easy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This job could not have been easier! It literally took 10 minutes. The three reflectors are held in place by three bolts; two torx, and one hex. Since there's no need for chopping or cutting, the reflectors can be easily reinstalled anytime.

The back of the bike is really cleaned up!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I'm not going to try removing the rear reflectors on my US spec T120 until after the bike's first state inspection, but I've been giving it some thought.

Just poking around under the license plate holder with a flashlight, it looks like the three rear reflectors are mounted to their own bracket, which just snaps on to the under side of the license holder. Is this the case? Is removing those reflectors going to be that easy?

Thanks!

Unless the great state of TX is different, those reflectors are only required by the FED DOT on all new bikes at time of sale.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This job could not have been easier! It literally took 10 minutes. The three reflectors are held in place by three bolts; two torx, and one hex. Since there's no need for chopping or cutting, the reflectors can be easily reinstalled anytime.

The back of the bike is really cleaned up!
How did you mount the license plate to the stock bracket? I'm in Ohio and the holes in the temporary tag seem too wide apart - I would be drilling holes at the very edge of the bracket. I'm assuming the real plate will have holes in the same location. See attached pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
How did you mount the license plate to the stock bracket? I'm in Ohio and the holes in the temporary tag seem too wide apart - I would be drilling holes at the very edge of the bracket. I'm assuming the real plate will have holes in the same location. See attached pic.
I"m curious too. I am also in Ohio. I picked up my bike last week. I currently have my temp tag attached with zip ties since none of my other license plate bolts fit, and the holes don't line up. I just assumed the metal plate will line up. I will get the actual plate next week sometime.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I"m curious too. I am also in Ohio. I picked up my bike last week. I currently have my temp tag attached with zip ties since none of my other license plate bolts fit, and the holes don't line up. I just assumed the metal plate will line up. I will get the actual plate next week sometime.
Zip ties +1

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
We have the same sized plates here in Texas. I removed the side and rear reflectors from the bracket. I then marked and added new locations for the plate bolts in the horizontal indentations on the plastic plate bracket. I drilled pilot holes with a hand drill and a small bit to prevent drift with the main holes. This was all easily done as the plastic is so soft.

The plate completely hides my minor surgery. This is really about your only option if you want to use the original plate bracket.

I didn't reinstall the side reflectors, but I did put the circular rear reflector back into place because it's a nice part of the bike's retro styling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have the same sized plates here in Texas. I removed the side and rear reflectors from the bracket. I then marked and added new locations for the plate bolts in the horizontal indentations on the plastic plate bracket. I drilled pilot holes with a hand drill and a small bit to prevent drift with the main holes. This was all easily done as the plastic is so soft.
You mean you drilled new holes in the license plate, and matching holes in the bracket on the bike?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You mean you drilled new holes in the license plate, and matching holes in the bracket on the bike?
No new holes in the plate needed, only matching holes in the bracket, near the ends. Very neat, since the bracket is the same width as the plate. This photo shows the new bolt locations with reference to the bracket.

I wouldn't drill any holes based on the size of the temporary cardboard plate since the hole locations might be in different places than on the permanent plate.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts