Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has a quick and painless way of removing reflectors w/o damaging chrome or paint, or leaving any marks? They're the rectangular ones with the sticky tape.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Use a hair dryer to warm the reflector are. Then gently pull the reflector away for the fender. Use wd40 to remove the residual sticky part of the tape. Then clean and wax the area.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I was able to just pull them off and the glue stayed with the reflector. the girlfriend's yamaha was the opposite.
Major goof-off required.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't know about the Speedmaster but on a T100 the front ones are on a bracket that bolt's at the horn,just unbolt the horn and take the bracket of then bolt the horn back on. The rear ones are on with tape. Put a knife blade laid flat as far under one end of the reflector as you can without cutting the tape this is so you will have something to pry against and not hurt the paint, start pulling up from the other end. If there is any tape left on the fender lacquer thinner on a rag is the easiest way to get it off but rubbing alcohol will work.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Mine came right off by hand, then any remaining sticky stuff rubbed off with a bit of car wax. I was suprised how much difference it make in the bike's looks. They make the bike look sorta cheezy like a rice burner.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I pulled the reflectors too when I cut the fender back. Also the front because of the look. But side reflectors are important. Have you seen this type of reflective tape?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great suggestions. A little heat loosened them up and the remaining glue came off with no problems. Looks much better, although it may be a safety issue w/o them....of course others will HEAR me coming, but that's another thread i know. :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
my rear reflectors were in the way for the bag mounts (and the bags cover up the reflectors anyway) so off they came. I used a couple of squirts of zippo lighter fluid (naptha) and they pulled right off clean with no tape residue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts