Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the rear wheel off to get my new tire mounted, trying to get the rear caliper off to remove the inner pad, outer came out easy. I can't seem to get the second slide off the caliper.

Pad pins are out, i can get the slide pin closest to me (if you are working behing the bike) off but for the life of me can't slide it far enough to drop the caliper off!!?

Tricks? Didn't want to try pulling the rubber boot off in the event it isn't supposed to be removed...

Looks like if i pull the rotor off i'll have room but 5.5mm allen is too small, 6mm is too big!?!?!

Had to grind two allen keys down on the bench to even get them to fit inbetween the swing arm and the inner allen bolt, WHY WOULD THEY DESIGN IT LIKE THIS!?!

Am i really this retarded?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sounds frozen. You can remove the rubber boot. It's only pressed in. The pin it holds should move freely. If the boot is torn this could introduce contamination that will prevent the pin from sliding.

If it's this hard to remove, if I were you... Disconnect the brake line at the caliper. Press the pistons in by pushing on the pads with a flat blade. When you finally get the caliper apart, carefully clean around the pistons don't scratch them up. When everything is really clean, use a very small amount of anti seize on the pins, the kind that is made for brakes. Clean the rubber boot with a qtip and put some anti seize on the pin. Push the boot back into the hole fingers only, no tools. Replace the crush washer when you put the brake line back on. Use a torque wrench on the banjo bolt.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I'm not sure what problem you're having. The way I relace pads is, I loosen the pad retaining pins, then remove the 2 13mm bolts holding the caliper on, then replace the pads. It is easy. You can even do it with the rear wheel on, but it is a tight squeeze. If that doesn't help, describe the problem in more detail.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seriously...

guys at Libby's got my rear tire on Sat (walk in with just the wheel)

threw in the new EBC's all around

i'm ready for some nicer weather!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts