Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I need to replace the clutch pates on my T140. I thought it seemed simple enought, but I got stuck just after removing the prim cover....:confused:
When I remove the pressure plate, will I need a special tool? or do I just remove the three clutch spring nuts and the lock nut on the adjuster pin? Is there any tricks to this or is it stright forword?
Do I have to conpress anything at this point? (my brain)
Some step by step help would be great,
much thanks, Rich

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Undo the three sleeve nuts, remove the springs and lift the plate away. The spring sockets in the pressure pate may also fall away. The clutch plates can then be pulled out. You might need a piece of wire with a small hook on the end to get the last ones out.

Note the order they come out for when you re-assemble them.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
do I just remove the three clutch spring nuts and the lock nut on the adjuster pin? Is there any tricks to this
I find it's much easier to use the special clutch spring adjusting tool:

http://www.britcycle.com/Products/222/222_180a.htm
You can make a similar tool as i had, but the real-mcoy works great.

Edit: If you plan on replacing the springs be sure the ends are clipped (pipped) or they wont catch correctly into the cups. I bought springs from an un-named US supplier and they were not clipped and backed out of adjustment after about 20 miles of riding. You can use small magnets to help pulling the plates out.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Just a couple short pieces of wire coat hanger works pretty well for removing the clutch plates. When reassembling just remember to put a fiber plate in first. And yes it is as simple to do as you thought. -Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts