Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
I fear bikes are now going to go the same way as cars with all the unnecessary electronic gadgetry - next thing they'll be fitting "on-bike" entertainment consoles (with bluetooth connectivity!) so you can check your facebook page as you ride

·
Registered
8 Posts
I fear bikes are now going to go the same way as cars with all the unnecessary electronic gadgetry - next thing they'll be fitting "on-bike" entertainment consoles (with bluetooth connectivity!) so you can check your facebook page as you ride
Honda has already announced that the next Goldwing will come with Apple’s Carplay 😳

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
You may be right that that's the way we're headed, but I reckon there'll also be bikes brought out that deliberately go against that. Look at the Ten7 or the V85TT, not to mention the Enfield twins. There will always be a market for 'basic' bikes without all the bells and whistles, just as there will always be folk that want all the gubbins, and whenever one of the simple bikes comes out, the press always go on about what a bargain it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am still having key issues (8 mos and counting)... after last visit the key fob no longer worked at all... the passive keys worked for a bit when applying to the antenna, but currently nothing. the ECU no longer reads them, so unable to start the bike (alarm flashes, no display). So until I can get it to the shop, no way of knowing if keys, antenna, ECU, software or other is the problem at any given moment. I also had the left cube switch issue in the first 50 miles... so starting to think all the electrical in this paper weight is corrupt.

Anyone know if Triumph has come up with a solution? No way this bike can go off road until it can be started on a regular basis.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here in the UK Triumph sent out a customer survey maybe about November time, asking about electronic gizmos on new bikes. Did we want bluetooth to phones/music, integrated GPS, all that sort of stuff. I hoped keyless ignition would be one question but it wasn't! I hate my XC's keyless ignition but there's f -all I can do about it. Did they ever road-test it? Filling up with petrol, as you'll know, means fishing the key out of a pocket just to unlock the petrol cap, and it's a very flimsy feeling operation, like you might break the key off in the lock. totally unnecessary IMHO.
I let my supplying dealer know my thoughts, at length, on this but he just said he couldn't get any support from Triumph UK - they weren't interested.

So if anyone knows how to go back to a simple key system, I'd buy it!

·
Registered
1200XE and Thunderbird Storm
88 Posts
It's a pain in the arse. I replaced the battery in the key fob with a fresh battery, tested on a voltmeter, and most of the time the only way I can get it to work is to put the key physically into switch on the steering head. Lots of warnings on the dash of the key being out of range when carried in a front pocket of my leather jacket. Unnecessary complication and just another thing to go wrong.
Are you sure you're turning your smart fob on?

·
Registered
1200XE and Thunderbird Storm
88 Posts
I do hate the smart fob crap - I'd remove it from mine in a heart beat! As other have said above they do need a strong fob battery.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts