Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a Scrambler 1200 but I don't trust the wireless start thing. On my test ride it kept complaining that it was out of range. Also had a hard time getting it to start again after a brief stop.
Anyone know if it's possible to remove the thing?

·
Registered
325 Posts
That sounds like a weak battery. I've owned a number of bikes with wireless start systems and the only time that ever happens is from a weak fob battery. There's usually a way to override the system in that instance as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well, he's not checked back or commented again, so either he got it taken care of or didn't like the answers. I mentioned that those only typically act up when the fob battery is low.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
yes, I meant the keyless ignition. I've edited the topic title.

I just want to get rid of it all because I don't trust them. I've been a professional car alarm installer for about 15 years in the 90's. Nothing but trouble with the damn things. It seems the keyless ignition is similar.
It's probably not possible to remove because it's ECM operated. Leaving the key permanently under the seat obviously isn't a solution either :(.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Joking aside, I would also have prefered a conventional ignition key.

Having said that, mine works flawlessly and you get used to it.

Don’t let this detail keep you from owning a marvelous bike.

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
293 Posts
Keyless ignition! I mean - why? What is the point or possible advantage?
I’m not advocating for or against it on a bike.
My car has it and I like the ease of entry and ignition, but a bike dosnt have doors to lock so It doesn't make as much sense.

Most cars have it now so there just trying to keep up with the gizmos that are around these days.
it keeps things tidy and clean I guess and works with the immobiliser, it also eliminates the key barrel so no dirt or muddy water can kill it which makes sense on a bike made for off-road use.
But I don’t think there’s that many pros for a bike to have it yet.

·
Registered
2017 Thruxton R, 2019 Scrambler 1200 XE
85 Posts
It's a pain in the arse. I replaced the battery in the key fob with a fresh battery, tested on a voltmeter, and most of the time the only way I can get it to work is to put the key physically into switch on the steering head. Lots of warnings on the dash of the key being out of range when carried in a front pocket of my leather jacket. Unnecessary complication and just another thing to go wrong.

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
293 Posts
Sounds like triumph really didn’t get it right. It should work better then that. I can leave my key in the back of my Skoda wagon and it still works.

·
Registered
2017 Bonneville T100
382 Posts
My car has it and I like the ease of entry and ignition, but a bike dosnt have doors to lock so It doesn't make as much sense.
I'll never buy another car without it. When it's -20F it's awfully nice to climb into a (previously locked) car and start it without taking off your mittens. In the old days, dropping your keys into a foot of snow, (or 4 inches of 0F water in the gutter) was not fun.

I'm perfectly happy with a key in the ignition of a motorcycle, though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'll never buy another car without it. When it's -20F it's awfully nice to climb into a (previously locked) car and start it without taking off your mittens. In the old days, dropping your keys into a foot of snow, (or 4 inches of 0F water in the gutter) was not fun.

I'm perfectly happy with a key in the ignition of a motorcycle, though.
My '09 Harley Ultra and my '08 Dyna had/have it. My BMW K1600 has it too. I love it. Same with my current car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't really care for keyless go in a car, most times i don't wear gloves and can find keys from my pocket to push remote button but on a bike it's luxury. I installed m-unit blue on my daytona and keyless go is by far the best feature in it, no hassle with finding key from pockets while wearing driving gloves and helmet restricting vision, sun boiling your brains on a black tarmac parking lot, just push of a button and off you go 😂

·
Registered
2017 Thruxton R, 2019 Scrambler 1200 XE
85 Posts
Just had an interesting discussion with my Triumph dealer regarding ongoing issues with keyless ignition on a Scrambler 1200XE. I've changed batteries twice, yet can often only turn the bike on while holding down the button on the fob at the same time as pressing the switch on the RH handlebar. Bloody frustrating. And the key out of range warning light is always on.

1. Triumph has developed a software update but it has turned out to be a disaster. Where they have tried to install the update, all three keys have had their coding irreversibly wiped.

2. The suspected issue is the location of the receiver antenna. Triumph is working in a fix and it is likely to lead to a recall of affected bikes once a solution is found. Even with the key in the fuel cap, the dash is indicating key out of range. I rode home yesterday with mine in the steering lock and had the same result.

I waited while my dealer rang the Triumph rep, so this is straight from the horse's mouth so to speak.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts