Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, I'll be spending the next 3 days or so in the garage, hopefully emerging with a much better machine than I went in with. A few questions remain to be resolved, though....

I know the ignition switch is attached with those obnoxious shear screws, but is there also thread locker on there? Or, to put it differently, how tough is it to get out & are there any tricks to it?

I have exhaust leaks. Am I crazy for thinking there's some kind of tape I can use on the pipe joints?

Why does my SSSA hub move freely side-to-side, but not rotate clockwise/anti-clockwise?

Does anyone know what size pin spanner the swingarm bolt takes, or have any ideas for how to deal with it that don't involve going to every hardware store in town in search of a sprocket with the correct OD to machine down? If it does come to down to that will an oil filter socket do?

Same as above, but for the Suzuki stem nuts.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
...I know the ignition switch is attached with those obnoxious shear screws, but is there also thread locker on there? Or, to put it differently, how tough is it to get out & are there any tricks to it?
No thread lock.
You can try to grab the pins with some needle nose vice grips - if they're loose you might get lucky; more efficient most likely to drill them out.
Recommend you use some regular socket cap screws for the re-fit.

...I have exhaust leaks. Am I crazy for thinking there's some kind of tape I can use on the pipe joints?...
Permatex Ultra Copper

Same as above, but for the Suzuki stem nuts.
http://www.komotodraggin.com/steering.html - but you won't like the price & bit late to get it now.

You can make one from 1-1/4" socket

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Ken. I could've sworn there was some kind of tape for sealing exhaust pipes, but if you haven't heard of it I guess I must've been confused.

I had managed to figure out that 1+1/4" was the correct size socket to make into the stem nut driver, but finding a deep socket in that size has been impossible so far. You would think the Komoto people would price their version lower than the factory tool; I think I'd rather have the Suzuki tool with 3/8" square drive for $2.01 less than the Komoto tool that requires a 19mm hex socket between itself & the ratchet, though I'll pass on both of them at ~$75. :rolleyes:

Anybody know about the bloody pin-drive bit holding the swingarm on? I really am quite thoroughly sick of these non-standard things!

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
Kit

if you can't get your hands on that exhaust sealant stuff and there are a few around, then silicone is also good between slip joints only on exhaust pipes (not for anything really loose though) but let it seal over night before you start the engine.

I was told about this a few months back and tried it and it works fine.

cheers
DaveM

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
These fit +05 for the swing arm trunnion. Don't know if they will fit an 04.

SwingArmPivotTools.jpg

The stem nut concept is a no brainer. Use pipe for the appropriate reach, then cut the pins to fit.

Steering Stem Locknut Socket..jpg

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, y'all. OnD, those tool do look nice. I must admit, I'm in a little over my head with the tool-making; my machine shop consists of a cordless Dremel with a near-dead battery pack & a pneumatic angle grinder, & I don't know how to weld...

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
+1 on the Ultra Copper. I used to use it on my Morris'. Great for wonky heads as well !! :(

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
No guarantee as you'll have to use it on your head gasket. 50% chance that it is already too wonky :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts