Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Changing the bars on my 79 t140 from the USA high bars to the UK low bars. Need to change the brake hose the runs from the MC to the top union and i can not for the life of me get the hose to disconnect. I can get the nut above the steel pipe to loosen, but i can't seem to get the hose to rotate independent of the pipe. Anyone have any experience with this? Do I need 2 wrenches, one to hold the steel pipe in place and one to rotate the hose?

Possibly related side note, I did not drain the system, Just detached the top hose from the MC and drained as best I could what was in there into a plastic cup. Not sure if draining the system would make removing the hose from the union any easier.

See pic! Also looking at the workshop manual...it appears that the PO may have put the nut on the wrong side of the union. would not surprise me one bit.

·
Premium Member
9,579 Posts
They are a PITA to do, I think the PO did it ok, you have the hose with a threaded end pushed through the yoke, and secured with a nut, then the metal pipe with built in nut tightens on the remaining exposed thread.

You'll still need to bleed your brakes as you have introduced an airlock into the system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah ok. That makes sense. Yea, total pain to get a wrench in there, lots of cursing.

Thanks Dave, always helpful!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Using your photo as a reference you need to hold the hex component of the crimp fitting on the hose that is at the top of the photo while you loosen the nut fitting from the rigid brake line (the lowest nut). Once the rigid line is removed you then need to remove the lower nut that holds the flex line to the bracket. Absolutely two wrenches are required to do this operation correctly, if not to disassemble certainly to re-assemble.

·
Premium Member
9,579 Posts
yes, it's also pretty important/vital that you don't allow the line to twist as you tighten.
The original rubber lines have a printed line to show deviation

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the tips guys! i got the two hoses separated last night, installed the new bars, got all the controls back on...looking pretty good. throttle side is a bit tight and i've got a lot of cable slack now (have new control cables to install, one step at a time though) but i'm optimistic that i may pull this off. i'll reconnect the brake line tonight...making sure to keep the flex line from twisting as i do.

god it is tricky to get a wrench in there!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New hose is on, brakes seem as tight as they used to be...after a quick stop at a 7-11 during my test ride to really crank down the hose/MC connection. Was leaking a little bit of fluid there but I think I got it locked down now. Thanks for all the advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts